Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

citori 525

gunner40sw

Cool That is the only gun I would give up my older citory 425 for.

I shot the snott out of my gun in sporting and in Team Challenge that has Flush and Flurry sets of 50 birds in 60 seconds

I have not shot much sporting at all in the past three + years , I think I could still do ...OK..

The only thing that may drive a regular Trap shooter batty would be covering up the bird on a long trap shot, as compared to floating it.

I shot trap targets with a low gun start so the break was part of the mount.

I don't know much = but I think it is the best gun for the money.

I like the Rino chokes. I have a Verona gold sporting clays that I purchased to pacified my ego for the nice wood on the 525.

The Verona is nice but I am going to sell it to fund a Three gun start. And the wood on my 425 is only sore on the eyes.

My Browning has over 10 national and world shoots on it + all the other events and training.

Send the cash to polish all the parts = I did that on all my guns and I know I get extra years out of it.

I picked up a 30 inch 525 Golden Clays about 2 years ago. I use it for skeet, trap, sc and I tried it once for the STC.

Its a nice shotgun. I bought it to replace the 32 inch 425 that I screwed up and sold...

I dont shoot shotgun much these days (figures, right after I get this 525 and a Spolar reloader) but when I take it out, it feels like an old friend.

Its a bit heavy for hunting. For that I use a 28 Gauge Browning XS or a Benelli SBE2.

I bought a 425 and took it to AA in sporting clays and then switched to another gun for some reason [as if we need a reason] - it took me another two years after that to make it to Master and now I'm back to AA since I started to shoot USPSA. The other day at the 5 stand a fellow let me shoot his 525 and I'm with Alamo shooter in liking it. The 30" or 32" is going to be personal preference and you must shoot both [a lot] to know which you prefer.

My 425 was 30" and I later bought one in 32" and sold it within months. Just didn't feel right to me. I later went to a K80 and then Blaser, both in 32" and wouldn't go with either one in 30". My 13-year old son is now shooting my 30" 425 and loving it. I thought my 425 might need to be rebuilt since it was very easy to open so I took it into the Browning booth at Nationals in San Antonio and the factory rep told me to bring it back after I had another 50,000 rounds through it....have never had any kind of mis-fire or mechanical problem with it other than trapping the trigger as a rank beginner. Once I learned to let it reset, it never happened again - some go with mechanical triggers but it's an easy job for someone who knows Browning. Good luck.

I've never shot competitive trap, but lots of practice, protection [Annie Oakley], and continental [wobble trap], but I shoot them all low gun so like Alamo the move to the target is what's important, in other words I don't see lead, then shoot, I just move to the break zone and pull the trigger.

Edited by WillM

If you start to "lean" towards trap, you can always add an adjustable comb to raise the pattern if you wish...or buy another stock.

Just an FYI. Brownings 525's and now 625's have a slightly different receivers so 325, 425, XS stocks won't fit.

That is not an easy decision to make.

You can set-up a trap gun to shoot a 60/40 pattern at 34yds. and do pretty well at sporting clays with no changes. If you like a 90/10 or 80/20 pattern that would not help at all shooting sporting clays. It is easier to shoot two different guns if possible.

I agree it's a difficult choice.

Perhaps, pick one up and see how it feels and the price difference. I "think" adding one is in the $200-$250 range?

The good news is they are adjustable and can fit you better for any sport...if needed.

The bad news is they are adjustable and you can "constantly" try to improve your shooting by adjusting the stock. :o

Overall, if can avoid constantly changing them, like the balance and don't mind the cost/look, etc...they are "harmless" and can help.

I don't use one...but...maybe next time. ;)

I shoot Sporting Clays and use Skeet and Trap for practice. Best gun purchase I ever made was a used Browning 325 32" - I use it for all clay target sports.

A 525 should serve you well in Sporting Clays and Trap. If you really get the trap bug, you may want to buy a shotgun unique to trap.

A 525 would be a good choice, it's as good as anything for sporting clays and will work fine for trap. I really like the way the close radius pistol grip stock feels, it's much different than older Brownings. If you get into trap very much you will want the gun to shoot a little higher and an 4 way adjustable comb is a good way to do this. I would not buy the factory adjustable comb, the hardware is not nearly as good as aftermarket. Lot's of good smiths can put and adjustable comb on it for you, I charge $150 for them.