Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Grandfather

j2fast

My grandfather passed away last weekend at age 89. He was the ultimate role model and father figure for someone to follow and I only hope to be some where near the great person he was in life. He severed in the Navy as well as being a Mason for over 60 years. He volunteered for the Navy in 1941, he was then stationed in Norfolk until after the attack on Pearl Harbor when he was transferred to and would finish his service out in the Pacific. Starting a family very late for the time, he and my grandmother (who was a nurse in the Navy during WWII) didn't get married and start a family until they were in their early 30's having 4 kids. Not to brag but my wife and I build our first house with 4 bedrooms and still think we don't have enough room some times. That said, every time we pass it I still point out to my wife the little tiny house that my grandparents started their family in that could literally fit inside half of our first floor. Spending his first 20 years or so after WWII in commercial construction building things like libraries, churches, and community centers (that still are in use today) he used those skills to build a home for the family using mostly just his teenage nephews for help. After working construction he moved on to and ultimately retired from National Steel/Weirton Steel. We should all be so lucky, he was able to live in the house he built for more than 50 years never having to leave before passing away there late Saturday night. He was and is the guiding father figure in my life and I miss him dearly.

I can't believe I forgot to add that among the many things he did for me, he is the person that taught me how to shoot and instilled the love/respect for firearms that still guides my actions today every time I pick up a gun.

Edited by j2fast

Your testiment to him sounds like he accomplished what every great father should do. He impacted your life in ways you will never forget and you will pass on to others. My prayers for you and your family. I share in your loss as it seems we have all lost a Great American!

Angel

Very sorry for your loss

I learned so much from my grandfather before he passed and when I apply those lessons today, I remember him. My dad and I talk about him and share our memories and it's funny how we have very similar memories and experiences.

Every time I pick up any pipe tools or welding tools I remember what he taught me.

I feel your pain.

I too lost my grandfather a few year back to lung cancer.

He was in the Navy during WWII and I was astonished to learn that he was middle aged with 3 children when he went off to war.

I grew up in a small house that he built with his own hands.

I don't know what it was about that generation.

Those men were proud and fiercely independent.

They had a sense of duty that defined everything they did.

They set the bar high.

I just hope to some day measure up.

Tls