Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 S&W or .45 ACP

gcphw123

I am entering a shooting competition at a local shooting club that does bowling pin shooting once a month. Their "Major" class is bowling pins set up bowling pins 16 inches from the front of the table. They give you 15 seconds to clear 5 pins. Should I go with the extra capacity of a .40 S&W caliber or just go .with 45acp and let the pins fall. I'd appreciate your input since I've only shot paper until now. I would appreciate any help. I have a 9MM Match that is good for the "Minor" class and I am thinking of getting a larger caliber EAA Match for the "Major" class.

The 230gr doing 750fps knocks the pins clear off the table, every time. In IPSC I never hit a popper that did not do down. I like the recoil(gentle push) of a 45. For the 40 is mag capacity( you can((will?)) miss more often) and some people like the snappy recoil.

I I was going to shoot pins I wold use a 45. You might choose to use something else. Shoot them both and then you decide.

I'd go with 40. If you are looking for versatility, you can't go wrong. If you want a dedicated bowling pin gun I'd go with a 45. Capacity won't matter. 15 seconds to clear 5 pins is an eternity. A lot of the top shooters here for our pin matches use a single stack. That being said I'd still go with the 40. Load 'em real hot for pins and you don't have to worry about the pins not falling. Plus you can use it as a limited gun in USPSA or ESP in IDPA.

If you ONLY plan to use it for bowling pin shooting, go the 45 way. If there is a possiblity that you may try any of the practical pistol games (USPSA or IDPA) get the .40.