Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Does Your Limited Or Limited 10 Look Like?

DBake

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my Limited blaster:

I picked it up here used- it was a Y2K Desert Classic prize gun. It was definitely a shooter, but rocked in the DAA holster due to custom trigger guard Dremel mods and the bluing had seen better days. I replaced the grip and did a mild double undercut, added an STI gunsmith blank trigger I filed to what I would consider a medium flat profile and then handed it over to Jimmy Vidanes. The scallops and serrations in the side were there when I got the gun but I asked Jimmy to add a scallop in front of the rear sight and lighten it internally. The gun then went to Techplate for a matte hard chrome. I can't believe that even after the work I had done I am still into it for less than a new Edge!

This thing cycles like Lance Armstrong. Final bare slide weight was 9.95 oz without adding a single hole through the slide. The barrel is a bit slow so in 20-30k rounds I may have a new one fit, but the next step for this one is finding a load and trying to wear it out.

Gunoutdoors.jpg

Here is mine, fresh back from IonBond and built by Tim Calhoun. He keeps letting me design crazy stuff, so I keep letting him build them. This is a 6-inch barrel on a 4.5-inch slide with an aluminum "comp" holding the front sight, which does not reciprocate. The barrel, cone comp adapter, and aluminum "comp" weigh 1 gram less than the 6-inch bull barrel out of the box, and much less than a 6-inch sight tracker barrel. Total reciprocating weight is 12.4oz. The slide is monogrammed "AH" just for grins. There is a thumb rest on the left side invisible in the pics. Pics don't do it justice - really hard to capture inky black IonBond with a cell phone. Did the grip myself.

NG3-3.png

NG3-4.png

I'll try to post a picture of the barrel tonight. It is a 6-inch bull barrel turned down then threaded to accomodate an EGW cone comp adapter. The "comp" is then screwed on to the threads so the barrel extends all the way through it. The muzzle is a few hundredths proud of the front face of the aluminum. The gun is so much lighter than my other 6-inch gun that I am considering adding a tungsten GR.

Not according to the OP?

"I'll try to post a picture of the barrel tonight. It is a 6-inch bull barrel turned down then threaded to accomodate an EGW cone comp adapter. The "comp" is then screwed on to the threads so the barrel extends all the way through it. The muzzle is a few hundredths proud of the front face of the aluminum. The gun is so much lighter than my other 6-inch gun that I am considering adding a tungsten GR. "

Not according to the OP?

"I'll try to post a picture of the barrel tonight. It is a 6-inch bull barrel turned down then threaded to accomodate an EGW cone comp adapter. The "comp" is then screwed on to the threads so the barrel extends all the way through it. The muzzle is a few hundredths proud of the front face of the aluminum. The gun is so much lighter than my other 6-inch gun that I am considering adding a tungsten GR. "

Nope that would have been the second post...lol Guess I missed that, oh well .....

It was a bull barrel, not a bushing barrel.

We went this route because we wanted to be sure that we could thread the cone comp adapter far enough down to remove 1.5 inches or so of the slide, and we wanted the adapter to have all its threads engaged with the barrel. Bushing barrels have a step down in outside diameter that is only about 1.5 inches from the muzzle. We weren't sure that the OD after the step down was still enough to thread (just eyeballing on another barrel, I don't think it is thick enough after the step-down). This cone comp adapter (it's an EGW) has threads throughout the interior and looks like it is designed to thread onto a bushing barrel using most or all of the thicker portion of the barrel. Rather than thread the aluminum "comp" onto the comp adapter, we simply cut the outside threads off the adapter threaded the AL onto the barrel until it was flush with the remainder of the adapter. This way we could snug the two pieces against each other on the barrel to help lock both in place.

This is a pic of the barrel assembly (not sure what else to call it) on my kitchen scale. What's left of the barrel, plus the cone comp adapter, plus the AL, plus the front sight weighs 191 grams, which is 1 gram lighter than the barrel was before we started. You can't see it in this picture, but the barrel extends through the AL and stands slightly proud. That way we get the benefit of longer sight radius without weight penalty while keeping the extra inch for the expanding powder to accelerate the bullet (as opposed to a steel expansion chamber made from a steel comp blank).

Barrel.jpg

thanks for that last post. when you mean AL, you are talking about the aluminum comp, correct? question about the barrel being proud, was that done so that the gases would not erode or wear away from the front face aluminum?

thanks

there could be more interest in this concept, since it was debated last year on the forum, when it was announced that rules in Limited were being lifted. there was alot of talk about a "solid comped" Limited gun.

sooooo, more photos would be great!!!!!

Yes - "AL" is aluminum (abbrev. from the periodic table). The barrel is proud of the aluminum for the reason you suggest - because we were'nt sure that the hot gasses wouldn't chew it up. It also looks better that way, but you'll have to take my word for it on that one until I'm home. I can't access picasa at work so I can't post the picture.

The gun is an experiment to see how much better a 2013 legal limited gun could be (if any, and if I'm good enough to know the difference). I think "solid comp" is a good way to describe it. We didn't want a Trubor style - too much weight, no powder benefit from the extra barrel length. We didn't want to bore out and thread a steel cone comp blank - too heavy. I wanted a thumb rest, so that ruled out front-cocking the gun (which will be a tough habit to break), which meant that the slide didn't have to be 6 inches long. A 6-in sight-tracker barrel on a shorter slide just doesn't look right to me and is nose heavy. I bought a cone comp adapter months ago just to see what options it gave us, and we went from there. The chunk of Al was from Ebay and cost about $5. If it doesn't last we can replace it with titanium, but it should be OK since it doesn't reciprocate or touch the slide.

Like I said, it's an experiment. We'll see how it goes. I shot it in the white without the thumb rest for about 500 rounds and early indications are promising. I'm shooting it Saturday with the thumb rest, testing a couple different bullet weights. Time will tell.

Here is a picture of the business end before we profiled the "comp" to match the slide. Yes, I could have bought a steel comp blank, but it would be heavy and require the same machining steps as the cheaper, lighter, much softer aluminum. I probably could have bought an aluminum comp blank. I didn't look too hard, because the ones I saw looked like they were .22 specific and not big enough to cut to match the slide.

muzzle2.jpg

Here is my Limited blaster:

I picked it up here used- it was a Y2K Desert Classic prize gun. It was definitely a shooter, but rocked in the DAA holster due to custom trigger guard Dremel mods and the bluing had seen better days. I replaced the grip and did a mild double undercut, added an STI gunsmith blank trigger I filed to what I would consider a medium flat profile and then handed it over to Jimmy Vidanes. The scallops and serrations in the side were there when I got the gun but I asked Jimmy to add a scallop in front of the rear sight and lighten it internally. The gun then went to Techplate for a matte hard chrome. I can't believe that even after the work I had done I am still into it for less than a new Edge!

This thing cycles like Lance Armstrong. Final bare slide weight was 9.95 oz without adding a single hole through the slide. The barrel is a bit slow so in 20-30k rounds I may have a new one fit, but the next step for this one is finding a load and trying to wear it out.

Gunoutdoors.jpg

That is a very sweet pistol. I love the machine work, outstanding.

Added a little aluminum Phoenix Trinity love to my Bedell. LOVE this grip so far.

Adds a "solid" feel to this gun, and the texture is just right.

wwwwwwwwwww_zpse8bb0deb.jpg

This is the same thing i did to my Camerons 6". I absolutely love the feel balance. I did file mine to give the grip more bite, then a little sand blast & voila . Cheers! Edited by a matt