Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Does Your Limited Or Limited 10 Look Like?

DBake

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started shooting IPSC matches this year.  I'm using an off the shelf "$700" 1911 in .45ACP (Dan Wesson Patriot) for Limited-10.  The only changes I made were to change the grips (personal preference) and to lock-tite the adjustable sight in place.

Cool gun!

I've only read about them online and in the gun rags. Do you like how it shoots? Is it reliable? What magazines do you use?

Can anybody spot the gun that is practiced with the most out of these photos? :P

It's easy to spot the cheatin' PRACTICER's gun! :P

The black stuff on my Eclipse is rubbing away in some spots! Does that count if I did it with a dremel tool to simulate holster wear? :rolleyes:

Team Sand Captain,

Hey, no fair! I took that picture the day I brought the gun home.

rhino,

I'm fairly pleased with the "Patriot", for its price. It has been reliable with the following caveats:

1. Between round 500 and 1500, rounds would sometimes nose-up into the roof of the chamber and it would not fully return to battery. This went away as mysteriously as it began, with the possbility that the gun broke in fully, or I found the "right" OAL & bullet combination.

2. I started to get fail-to-extract failures. This was ultimately due to a bunch of crud in the external extractor's channel in the slide. I figure if I punch the pin out and clean it about every 2000-3000 rounds it will continue to extract perfectly.

3. The cross-pin on the Bomar-copy rear sight has broken 4 times so far. This is probably due in part to sight's high elevation. My latest fix was to replace the last broken steel pin with the turned-down titanium drill bit shank, and then sluice lock-tite into the moving parts of the sight. It doesn't move any more.

I like how it shoots; rounds go where I want them to and the trigger is decent. I'm using CMC and Wilson 8 round mags, and Wilson 10-round mags with no problems.

-z

Flex...what you been doing man?

LOL...that picture was taken after THE Buckeye Blast. There was a very practical amount of rain ;) . I was wearing the gun as I RO'ed (I still needed to squeeze in a stage or two myself). My stage finsihed off with these three, low targets that needed to be shot from over a wall...nice and close. It was kinda fun...especailly with the Open gunners. They would finish and be waiting for me to give the 'unload and show clear'. About that time, all the mud that their supers kicked up would come raining down on us. I cn't even type about it without smiling.

1. Between round 500 and 1500, rounds would sometimes nose-up into the roof of the chamber and it would not fully return to battery. This went away as mysteriously as it began, with the possbility that the gun broke in fully, or I found the "right" OAL & bullet combination.

I've had that problem on several guns! In my case, the problem was mostly that the magazine catch held the mags too "low."

I'm glad you like your gun! The more manufacturers who produce high quality 1911s, the better! Competition is what the industry needs to keep improving.

I'm a single stack fan (can't afford a limited svi 40 cal) so here it is:

lim10front.jpg

lim10side.jpg

Colt 70 series gold cup, stock spur hammer, kings grip safety, ed brown wide non-ambi safety, s&a magwell, .100 front sight, stainless match bushing, aluminum trigger, wilson sear, and soon to be replaced ed brown "tactical" mag release.

Just like my prom date, not the prettiest girl, but it works!

Josh

Yeah, that is pretty much right. (though I didn't think about the light)

I use it for a visual index on the reloads. It helps me see where the mag needs to go. If I am out of practice, I tend to do the reload too low. Seeing the line in the magwell reminds me to keep the gun up where it should be.

Like 300lbGorilla says...there isn't much contrast in the Glock magwell. I use fingernail polish to make it easier to see. I used the red because I couldn't find the white when I went digging thru my girlfriends nail polish. :D It didn't quite give enough visual input...so I found the white and added it.

• 1 month later...

Well, My new Limited-10 pistol looksl ike this.

9a.jpg

I can't tell you how it performs yet because I have not held it since it was a pile of parts! I get it back from the smith who built it tomorrow. I just KNOW I'm not going to sleep well tonight. :wacko:

Caspian Barstock frame and slide. Schuemann UltiMatch bushingless bull barrel. Kings extended slide release and ambi safety both custom contoured. Aftec extractor. Ed Brown firing pin, spring, stop, and mag catch. S&A palm swell beavertail grip safety and one piece mainspring housing / magazine guide. Casull long match trigger. Wolff variable 17 1/2 pound recoil spring. Bo-Mar rear and Brazos lightening rod front sight.