Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier Calculator Not Available

Calamity Jane

This is probably going to get closed pretty quick...but here it goes.

I just shot 6 chickens a few times and I wanted to see what my classification would be. The Ohio site is no longer there. I understand the person who made this available for us was having difficulty keeping it going. Life happens. :( I'm grateful for all he did to keep it going as long as he did. :cheers:

However, I hate that I can't figure out what my classification would be AND I WANT USPSA to make the calculator available on their web site. Is this too much to ask??

This is probably going to get closed pretty quick...but here it goes.

I just shot 6 chickens a few times and I wanted to see what my classification would be. The Ohio site is no longer there. I understand the person who made this available for us was having difficulty keeping it going. Life happens. :( I'm grateful for all he did to keep it going as long as he did. :cheers:

However, I hate that I can't figure out what my classification would be AND I WANT USPSA to make the calculator available on their web site. Is this too much to ask??

I don't know how the details would work out, but the idea does sound pretty logical.

That calculator is great, but is missing some of the newer classifiers.

I think USPSA should have a calculator available. In fact, I think we should have access to the whole database. I think it would be interesting to chart and graph some of the results to look for trends and such...

They would not have to "publish" the HHF. A calculator to give me a reasonable estimate of what my Classifier score will come in at is all most of us would like. Beats the typical two month lead time it seems most scores take to post, by the time club scorekeepers do their end (yes, they have lives outside the club) and then the posting date comes around.

Even if they made the raw data available, they still have not published the HHF. Yes, we can figure it out, but we can do that now. And the actual computed HHF and the one used is not going to match up since it seems that many of the HHF were set at one time based on some external criteria and have never been reset to the actual computed score based on complaints I have seen.

The theory propoesed heer on theese forums is that they dont want just any Tom, Dick, and Harry not paying for a USPSA membership fee and shooting the classifier stages down on Harry's farm, using the calculator and getting an idea of what their class would be.

That's the theory anyway. I reckon if said Tom, Dick, and Harry was that motivated to "boot leg" or hijack USPSA they could also go through the major match results pick out the scores for the likes of Dave Sevigny, Rob Leatham, and Todd Jarret for the classifier stages to get an idea of the for real High Hit Factors and possibly back track from there.

There is a thread from way back on theese forums from a guy named "shred" . He somehow got access to the database or did some resveres mathematics and showed in his thread with some graphs how folks could be over classified on a particular CM, folks on other CM's could be underclassified, and them some CM's were's right on. Just do a search for "shread" and punch in "classfier" for the key word search. It should pop up.

Yes, I'd like to see for reall High Hit Factors per each classifier and by division posted up to the web too. I think I saw somebody else saying that it would be like who posting who ran a sub 4 minute mile, or a 10 second 100 meter dash.

Hi folks,

I am doing some probing to find the reason that USPSA doesn't publish HHFs. The path suggested by Brian's post about the "legality" of posting scores dead ended for me. That said, all you need to do to find out a HHF is gain access to ANYBODY's classifier stage hit factor and their % in the USPSA classifier data base for that stage. If you can't figure it our from there, you should of listened to your high school math teacher when they said "some day you will really need this stuff!" <_<

Later,

Chuck

That calculator is great, but is missing some of the newer classifiers.

I think USPSA should have a calculator available. In fact, I think we should have access to the whole database. I think it would be interesting to chart and graph some of the results to look for trends and such...

Actually the calculator is copyrighted and can't be used by anyone else including USPSA, just look at the very bottom of the page. They would have to get Nick's permission. Lets not forget he made this thing for free in his own spare time and writes all the code for it. He is a great guy and its too bad we don't get to shoot with him anymore back here in Ohio.

Flyin

Hi folks,

I am doing some probing to find the reason that USPSA doesn't publish HHFs. The path suggested by Brian's post about the "legality" of posting scores dead ended for me. That said, all you need to do to find out a HHF is gain access to ANYBODY's classifier stage hit factor and their % in the USPSA classifier data base for that stage. If you can't figure it our from there, you should of listened to your high school math teacher when they said "some day you will really need this stuff!" <_<

Later,

Chuck

The reasons are still pretty much the same-- USPSA invested considerable time/$ of the membership developing and managing the HHFs and doesn't want them available in bulk for non-members to use or abuse. Even if a person were to go back-compute all the HHFs, USPSA can (and now does) change them occasionally. Granted the system could be a lot better (witness IPSC's classification system-- updated just a few days after a match), but I still think the classification system does represent considerable intellectual property of USPSA.

Yep...I knew I could get you all going on this one. If I'm not careful, Flex is going to change my avatar from "Ms Pacman" to "Ms Pot Stirer" :lol: I'm just kidding Flex...don't do that...I like being Ms Pacman. :)

USPSA can do what they like...as long as my buddy Nick is out there with his web site. ;)

Yep...I knew I could get you all going on this one. If I'm not careful, Flex is going to change my avatar from "Ms Pacman" to "Ms Pot Stirer" :lol: I'm just kidding Flex...don't do that...I like being Ms Pacman. :)

USPSA can do what they like...as long as my buddy Nick is out there with his web site. ;)

Hey, knock it off! THIS IS A HATE THREAD! :rolleyes:

Here's more to the story.

I came up with the idea of the classifier calculator years ago. I even "shopped" the idea around a few places (mentioned it to some at USPSA, as well as other sites). Everybody told me it would take a lot of code work and such. So, my idea sat on the shelf. I didn't know how to code it.

Then, Nick came along one day and told me (as the Ohio Section Coordinator) that he had acquired the web address for "ohiouspsa.com". Hmmm...OK...? He offered it up for our use for the Ohio Section. Then he offered to write the site. I came up with ideas on content, and Nick made it appear. During that time, he tried to get me to learn web design and management. I'd probably have a hard time getting my D-class card in web design.

Once that got going, Nick asked me for my content ideas. So, I dropped the classifier calculator on him. He worked it right up. Well...from my perspective anyway. It was a ton of work. And, we had to manually snoop around to dig up the high hit factors to base the calculator on.

• 2 weeks later...