Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Stock vs. Tanfoglio Stock II, What's the difference?

Glk21C

Is it purely the Witness Stock is a large frame and the Stock II is a small frame? Or am I not even close? I've seen a lot of talk here about the Stock II so I'm trying to figure out the difference.

Thanks in advance

Is it purely the Witness Stock is a large frame and the Stock II is a small frame? Or am I not even close? I've seen a lot of talk here about the Stock II so I'm trying to figure out the difference.

Thanks in advance

Stock = small frame

Stock II = large frame.

My Stock II is a small frame ... 9mm.

It is my understanding that the same gun will come in different frames depending on the caliber: 9mm is based on the small frame, while .38", .40" 10mm and .45" are based on a large frame.

Maybe you can get more info directly from Tanfoglio website, they updated it entirely.

About two years ago now I mediated between IPSC's President Nick Alexikos and Massimo Tanfoglio to come up with a solution on what a legal IPSC production gun should look like. I have seen it at the shot show, but we have till date not received any of these in the States. Which is a shame. All our friends in Canada and rest of the world have one and can probably submit pictures of their, please do. I'm going to request to get at least one sent to me so I can start playing with it too.

The differences are:

Stock II = built on the "Custom" frame

Stock I = built on the "Standard" frame

The "Custom" frame is the foundation of "Gold Team", "Limited", "Limited Pro", "Hunter" and "Stock II" models and is the higher end line of Tanfoglio products. In comparison to the "Standard" frame it has a wider opening for a larger attached magwell like GT and Limited. The frame is tapered and works as a small built-in magwell which is why "limited pro", "hunter" and Stock II" are cool. "Custom" frame also have a squared trigger guard and more aggressive checkering. "Custom" frame for the most part comes with a long dustcover. GT, Limited, Hunter have the longest. Stock II has about 0.4" (10mm) shorter dustcover and barrel/slide than Limited. Limited Pro has the short dustcover.

For sure, Stock II comes with Supersights. I've gotten several Stock models and some come with the silly LPA sights. Not sure if it depends on caliber or the mood of the day of the guy who put it together. Seems as 9mm Stock's have Supersights, for other calibers it tends to be LPA's.

Small or Large frame?

The factory builds every model in both large or small frame. Caliber will determine some of it and function / market another. In the US, EAA only imports large frame models, also 9mms. This is at the request of EAA and a company policy to eliminate the massive confusion they used to have with customers ordering the wrong conversion kits, parts etc. At some point they decided and asked the factory only to import large frames. This is why all current 9mms in the US are large frame. As for the rest of the world, Tanfoglio will only ship small frame in 9mm. Reason for this is because 9mm magazines function flawlessly in small frame and seem to be a troublesome child in large frame. External dimensions between large and small frame are identical. The "large frame" has a bigger chunk cut out for the magazine that is all. Since EAA have not imported the Stock II, all references you are getting regarding Stock II will as far as I understand, be "small frame". But remember, "small frame" only means it excepts small magazines. Small mags measure 1.250" x 0.800" whereas large frame measures 1.345" x 0.850". I did talk with Massimo and EAA at the last shot show and begged to change and start importing 9mms in small frame (only). If everyone knew that 9mm = small frame things would be easier.

So, from a production stand point, Tanfoglio can make all calibers (and do) in large frame (9mm, 38 super, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 10mm). Small frame will only accept 9mm and 40 S&W. However 40 S&W in small frame will only accept factory loads 1.135" OAL. Large frame 40 S&W is what you want if you shoot competition because I can pump up the magazine capacity to 21 + 1. In the small frame 40 S&W your capacity is going to be very limited, maybe 16 in the mag?

You could always have your dealer call in to EAA and ask for the Stock II in small frame.. Maybe they'll catch on at some point if enough people keep asking. I'm doing my part.