Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

:unsure: I am going to area 6...First time air travel w/ Ammo and Firearms,Any suggestion regarding on ammo counts,fire arms and ammo case etc..?pls!!!! :D Thanks.... Edited by JIGGY

Get a cheap lockable hard-sided case, like a Dokosil or similar. Put your UNLOADED firearm(s) inside the case, and throw a couple of combonation locks on it, put that in one checked bag, and put your ammo, rig, range bag, etc. in the other checked bag (ammo & gun must be in sperate bags).

Now ammo is tricky because most airlines only allow 11 pounds of ammo. Its up to you to figure out what 11 pounds of your ammo is exactly. But the last time I flew I was shooting LImited, and I took 350 rounds of .40 amoo with no problems. As long as your ammo is packed in factory boxes or hard plastic MTM boxes, they might just ask you "How much ammo you got ?" To which I always reply "11 pounds". ;)

Just make sure you 1. Tell the friendly ticket counter person that you have a "firearm" you need to DECLARE, 2. make sure you have your pistola locked up (the more locks you can throw on, the better they will like it), and 3. Make sure your ammo is sealed up good. I know it sux to put masking tape on your nice MTM boxes or whatever, but it will make them feel better. You do not want loose ammo rolling around in your bag, because they will do something about it.

Thanks Crish :cheers:

Get a cheap lockable hard-sided case, like a Dokosil or similar. Put your UNLOADED firearm(s) inside the case, and throw a couple of combonation locks on it, put that in one checked bag, and put your ammo, rig, range bag, etc. in the other checked bag (ammo & gun must be in sperate bags).

Now ammo is tricky because most airlines only allow 11 pounds of ammo. Its up to you to figure out what 11 pounds of your ammo is exactly. But the last time I flew I was shooting LImited, and I took 350 rounds of .40 amoo with no problems. As long as your ammo is packed in factory boxes or hard plastic MTM boxes, they might just ask you "How much ammo you got ?" To which I always reply "11 pounds". ;)

Just make sure you 1. Tell the friendly ticket counter person that you have a "firearm" you need to DECLARE, 2. make sure you have your pistola locked up (the more locks you can throw on, the better they will like it), and 3. Make sure your ammo is sealed up good. I know it sux to put masking tape on your nice MTM boxes or whatever, but it will make them feel better. You do not want loose ammo rolling around in your bag, because they will do something about it.

I took it a step further and followed what fellow BE'er Shred along with some others did. I just took to limited guns to the FL Open, I modded the case a little so I run cable lock through the guns, lock the cable to the inside of the luggage and then close the to the pistol case with some locks to secure it.

Check the website or call the airline(s) you will be flying. Each airline has its own odd rules. USAir for instance does not allow long arms and handguns in the same hardside case. Also, most airlines charge baggages fees for 2nd and or special bags now, so be prepared to pay. You need to know the regulations cause most of the Ticket Agents don't.

I also usually put a cable lock through the barrel of the gun(s), and then put a seperate cable lock through the case and attach it to the inside of the luggage. It looks like Fort Knox, but I've never had anyone say anything, or had anything stolen or lost.

Check the website or call the airline(s) you will be flying. Each airline has its own odd rules. USAir for instance does not allow long arms and handguns in the same hardside case. Also, most airlines charge baggages fees for 2nd and or special bags now, so be prepared to pay. You need to know the regulations cause most of the Ticket Agents don't.

Good points, I actually printed out the regs from the TSA website and the Airline's website to have on me just in case. Didn't end up having any issues but better to be prepared.

I also usually put a cable lock through the barrel of the gun(s), and then put a seperate cable lock through the case and attach it to the inside of the luggage. It looks like Fort Knox, but I've never had anyone say anything, or had anything stolen or lost.

On my flight down the TSA guys opens up the luggage, stares at it for a second, takes the keys and opens the case for inspection. AFter the thumbs up he looks at me and says, "you want to come back here and put this back the way you want it".......

The way I figured it, the more complicated it looked the better. A person thinking about looking for a freebie would have to take the whole bag or nothing unless they had the time and a hiding place to figure out how to cut the case lose.... :lol:

Just ask for the orange declaration form, then when they look at you with the stupid look, tell them you have a firearm.

Walk it to security (you will get different screening than normal) with your keys in your hand, and if they want to inspect, you open it for them, never surrender your keys and the locks ARE NOT to be tsa approved (so that they have the master key). Thats in the fed law.

Of course each airport react's differently and each ticket agent act's differently and each airline has it's own rules, in addition to the law. So your experience will probably be different. But other than that, Mr. Keen covered it absolutely correctly. I did put my stuff cabled to the inside of my normal checked bag and they seemed to have no problem. You can store empty mags with the pistols, just not in it.

There is an airline that does not allow any firearms period, and its name escapes me (it's something2000).

I just flew to the Forida Open Match this winter and was very concerned about the checking the guns at the airport thing. As long as you do what your fellow BEers replyed you will be fine. They will go through you stuff so use TSA locks on your bags or they will cut your locks off. You can get them anywhere they sell luggage. Remember gun in one bag ammo in another. Have a good flight.

I would add that the pistol and firearm need to be in separate containers, but can be in the same bag. I've flown like this on every major airline without any issues. The ammo must be packed in a container that protects the primer from being struck. Lock the gun case, don't lock the suitcase it's in. Thus, the cable lock to the suitcase is really nice to have.

The answer, "11 lbs or less" is a very good answer about your ammo. Never had mine weighted either. Once they hear you know what you are doing, the rep usually goes back to auto-pilot.

You'll be fine. For example, you should see Denver International during hunting season. :surprise: It's less shocking to the passanger reps than you would think for someone traveling with a gun.

Make sure the locks on the gun case are NOT TSA locks. You have to be the only one with a key to them.

I've flown with firearms twice on Delta, had TSA locks on my gun case and no one said anything.

and they won't, but TSA has access to your gun with these locks, and they don't need it after it's checked. Thats why you lock the gun but leave the bag unlocked.

I've only had a problem once - coming back from Florida of all places. Airline told me that I would have to put a locked box in my locked large pelican case. I explained how I was just trying to get home flying with my gear in the same condition I flew to florida with on their airline. I had my printouts of the TSA requirements, and she said TSA has nothing to do with it, it's an arrangement with their airline and the FAA. It was ridiculous! Finally after about an hour, the station manager gave in - sheesh, it was just a power play, because if it was truly breaking TSA or FAA regulation there's no way it would've been allowed at all.

These guys all have great advice. My little addition is just get to the airport with a little more time, just in case you get hassled, you won't also miss your flight.

~Mitch

I field strip my semi-autos when I travel. The less it looks like a gun, the less freaked the agents are. When I show them the gun, I get that "Well, if you say it's a gun, I guess we will believe you" look. Also, go to goodwill and get the crappiest looking hard-sided suitcase that they have. The bad guys are going to take pelican cases, not refugee bags. ;)

I too have never had any comments having the ammo and gun in the same bag.

Later,

Chuck

+1 on the "i need to declare a firearm".

went to the nationals in vegas in i think 1998. there were a total of 7 of us who happened to check in at the southwest counter around the same time. we told the ticket dude we had to declare firearms, and he asked "who". next thing u know we're all on the side of the counter showing unloaded pistols, and some of us had two. wondered what was going thru the minds of the folks in line behind us, who mostly were on our plane. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just flew and they asked me if the ammo was in a seperate bag, when I answered yes they relaxed and were very nice. The thing about TSA agents is they are human and they interperet the rules differently. Some are nice and some are not, just to be safe seperate the ammo use two bags at check in, use your own locks on the gun case and TSA lock on the bags.