Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you do to reduce your lead exposure?

A few years ago my lead level was high, (30+ vs less than 9 as recommended) so I was given some tips to reduce my levels

Clean my reloading area frequently

Always wash my hands after reloading

Move my tumbler out of my loading area

Seperate brass from media outside

Limit my indoor range shooting and when ido use lead free primers and plated bullets

Run an air purifier in my loading room

So... anyone else out there have any ideas

I hold my breath when shooting indoors. :ph34r:

I have noticed my throat and nose being irritated at the indoor range in the past few months. I feel kind of bad not being there to help tape and reset targets as much as I used to, but now I go outside for a few minutes between each stage. I guess next visit to the doc is going to have to include a blood test. Maybe If my levels are high enough I can start casting my own bullets. How hard can it be to smelt lead from blood?

I don't eat while loading or shooting but have been know to drink.

I wash my hands afterwards both reloading or shooting.

I separate brass from media outside. ( I had not thought of the dust mask. Good idea Jamie :) )

I wear latex gloves ( already powdered) when I load on my press, which is a 550 without a case feeder. So I am handling both brass and bullets. I figure at the least it keeps my fingertips from turning black, and at the most it keeps the lead out of my system.

I also wear latex gloves when I handle or sort brass. I try not to get too much mixed caliber brass in one big pile. It's just a big PITA to do a whole bunch in one sitting. Basically, after a match that I brass whored at, I have a ritual where I plunk myself down on the floor in front of the TV, with something to cover the carpet, I'll plug in the "posercam" and watch the first person videos of me shooting in the match, and I'll separate out the brass, with my gloves on.

A squirt or two of Nu Finish car polish helps keep the tumbler dust down. Sometimes I'll had a capful of odorless mineral spirits too.

I used to do the scraps of used dryer sheets in with the tumbler, but it seems like it would leave a residue on the cases so they didn't turn out all that shiney.

I also do stained glass and working with the lead solder and the lead or zinc came I will wear latex gloves too.

My levels were in the 30s as well so I gave up shooting indoors, I wear latex gloves and an N100 rated mask when cleaning or reloading. I also bought some D-Lead soap and wipes for cleanup after shooting. The last test came back under 10. Probably overkill but better safe than sorry.

I retired from the Army before I got shot. My risk of lead exposure has dropped significantly.

Seriously though I had my lead level tested recently and this was after years of indoor ranges, reloading cast bullets, biting splitshot sinkers, etc and my level was single digits. I think it has to do with individual bodies. Some people with a lot less exposure seem to have much higher levels so I think there is a piece of the puzzle we dont have.

A few years ago my lead level was high, (30+ vs less than 9 as recommended) so I was given some tips to reduce my levels

Limit my indoor range shooting and when ido use lead free primers and plated bullets

Nitrile gloves and Clear Shield when reloading or handling brass

Respirator mask when shooting indoors (I shoot 22 gallery about 6 hours a week practice and match)

Clean hands and face with DB lead wipes from Brownell after shooting. I keep them in my range bag.

Saline nose spray before shooting to moisten the nose hairs for proper natural filtration and after shooting to clean out what was collected.

I do eat at matches but it is usually some prepackaged bar and I hold it by the wrapper. I also keep my water bottle covered.

Currently taking a natural Heavy metal Cleanse. It is prepackaged chelating vitamins designed to collect and expel heavy metals from the system.

Clothes in washer when I come home from the range separate from the rest of the family. Usually with my work clothes that have other problems ;)

Shower after an indoor match

As much as I hate it, I now wear a hat when I shoot. My Doc advised me to protect the top of the head from the residue of shooting and since the hair is growing other places it is not protecting my head anymore :) Ain't getting older fun.

Regards,

My lead level started going up a few years ago while working at an indoor range. The range was government run and was changed over to all lead fee frangible ammo. My level kept rising. Then I read an article that stated solvent on bare skin might actually raise the level of lead absorption. We started changing the solvent in a parts tank we used for cleaning and my level came back down......... Food for thought

Less then 10 is the level for childern under 15 years and expected in adults that are never exposed to lead. OSHA considers levels under 20 ok in adults that work in areas that expose them to lead. Treatment to remove lead from the body is usually required if level are over 36. There is a large amount of information on the internet if you do a search.

Of course every person is different a level that will not affect one person might be to much for others.

MDA

• 1 month later...

I am bringing this back just for an up date. I took a Natural Heavy metal Cleanse for 70 days. My lead levels went from 35 to 23. I also wore a respirator most of the time I shot indoors. Doc says what ever I am doing is working better than what he has seen so I will do one more package of these vitamins and then do them one time a year.

Just thought I would add this because it seems to work for me.

When my lead got borderline high (29) my doctor suggested taking vitamin C suppliments. 500 mg morning and night.

Haven't had it checked lately to see if it came down, but the vitamin C can't hurt.

RGS,

are there any side effects of the "heavy metal cleanse" stuff?

dj

After shooting weekly at in indoor range that had no venting or filtration system of any kind for 6 months my lead level was in the 40's. I stopped going to that range, continued shooting outdoors, and reloading. In 5 weeks I retested and my lead level had dropped to 26. I took nothing except my normal Flintstones Complete vitamins.

My level is 8. I fear that a lot of indoor ranges does not have enough airflow to clear lead. My tumbler is on my reloading bench and I separate the brass from the media right there. Obviously I keep the lid on the tumbler while tumbling as I have to do my own cleaning in my reloading room.

Don't smoke. I see tons of guys smoking while shooting esp. at matches. Lead goes right from your hands to your mouth via the cig...ingestion is BAD.

Whereas cancer is deadly, of course, lead exposure causes central nervous system damage...I'd rather not get either but CNS damage could really ruin your game.

If it hasn't been posted before, here is THE place to start your education on lead. (FYI-NIOSH is the Fed. org that does the research for OSHA standards)

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/lead/

Joel, RIH

Recovering Industrial Hygienist

Don't smoke. I see tons of guys smoking while shooting esp. at matches. Lead goes right from your hands to your mouth via the cig...ingestion is BAD.

If it hasn't been posted before, here is THE place to start your education on lead. (FYI-NIOSH is the Fed. org that does the research for OSHA standards)

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/lead/

Joel, RIH

Recovering Industrial Hygienist

Good post! Most people with lead problems EAT the stuff. Simple, right? Don't eat lead!

BUT, as pointed out, many smokers do not realize they are "eating" lead while they smoke because their hands are covered in lead dust while shooting and that dust ends up on the cigarette/cigar (and then into your mouth it goes).

After a match, do you ever eat out with friends? I do. But first think I do is wash all that lead dust off my lips; I usually shoot a semi-auto handgun and with every shot, the slide is slinging lead dust RIGHT at my face.

I only eat with a fork. Even fries, pizza and burgers - I eat 'em with a fork. My shooting buddies probably think I am either germ-phobic or a snob (or both!). Real reason is that even after I wash up, the lead is still on my clothes and it might just be on my hands - so why risk it?

The numbers above are for "blood-lead level" and provide a snap-shot in time for lead exposure. But, lead is absorbed into the bones like calcium, and the blood-lead level test does not measure bone-lead level. I prefer to avoid the whole mess by not eating lead in the first place.

Regards,

D.