Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

brass processing service?

maineshootah

Anyone use one?

I am looking to get 4-8K of .223 brass processed (deprime, trim, chamfer, remove crimp.. etc)

The places online that I have found are not returning calls.. :angry2:

Who do you all use?

Try Garry!!! Fast turn around time. He is doing it at $30/k + shipping. ozzy1038@aol.com if you want to e-mail him direct.

chris

Round Gun Shooter was telling me something about a place that he was going to send his .223 brass to. It was going to be cleaned sized and primed and shipped back to him ready to load.

Ask him and see what he says.

i'm thinking of starting to do this...gotta dillon trimmer, redding shell plates, etc. the headspace issue on different guns is what stops me. i have to tell you, i've seen brass from some different sources that do this, and it wasn't always pretty....it's really alot of work, that has to be done right.

i'm thinking of starting to do this...gotta dillon trimmer, redding shell plates, etc. the headspace issue on different guns is what stops me. i have to tell you, i've seen brass from some different sources that do this, and it wasn't always pretty....it's really alot of work, that has to be done right.

You couldn't pay me enough money to process brass for someone else.

First, it's a huge PITA - multiple steps and very time consuming if you do it right.

Second, eveyone has different ideas of what "right" looks like so no matter how good a job you do there's always gonna be someone who runs you down because 1 round out of 1000 had a slight dent in the case neck.

Third, you're assuming huge liability - what if someone blows up a gun or gets injured using brass you processed? Never mind that the retard used pistol powder instead of rifle powder - it's still gonna be your fault and the potential for litigation is limitless.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

And it's the headspacing issue that will bite you every time.

Several years back, a friend of mine had literally tons of once fired Winchester .223 Rem brass for sale. I bought most of it, and processed them.

I had a 1050 set up with the carbide dies, swager, and trimmer all adjusted for the crimped Winchester brass. Since I hate getting jams, I took the time to sort cases prior to cleaning, and only processed Winchester crimped brass. I used and regularly checked the finished cases with the Dillon headspace guage.

All was well until I ran out of Winchester brass and began using the assorted Federal cases I had left over. All of a sudden, my finished cases varied wildly in length and were overworked, falling below the minimum mark in the headspacing guage.

My working theory is that the Federal brass had less springback.

I would never concider processing .223Rem unless it was all one headstamp. I don't have time to check 1000 cases.

• 3 months later...

You couldn't pay me enough money to process brass for someone else.

First, it's a huge PITA - multiple steps and very time consuming if you do it right.

Second, eveyone has different ideas of what "right" looks like so no matter how good a job you do there's always gonna be someone who runs you down because 1 round out of 1000 had a slight dent in the case neck.

Third, you're assuming huge liability - what if someone blows up a gun or gets injured using brass you processed? Never mind that the retard used pistol powder instead of rifle powder - it's still gonna be your fault and the potential for litigation is limitless.

That's what I was thinking, I don't even enjoy doing it for myself........

• 1 month later...

http://pages.suddenlink.net/brassprocessing/index.htm

I used Danny Henry this summer to do 3500 rounds of .223 and he had a fast turn around of less than two weeks including shipping and he refunded me $5 because he could get the brass in a smaller shipping box! Brass was trimmed to min. length and primer crimps were taken out.

I would recommend him highly!

• 4 weeks later...

Shoot, the last time I needed to process brass, I hired my friends to do my brass processing and supervise. :lol: (And pay them in ammo)

If they slip up, I find out when I run each round through a chamber gauge and visually inspect it.

There is a guy on the USPSA website that sells it. I have used a couple thousand from him. It works great, sells it processed ready to load. I hate processing brass. I pay extra to get rid of the headache. I leave them on the ground at matches, but pick them up from practice.

I load the ones from my bolt gun up to a dozen times. Neck sizing only until it splits.

Mike