Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Fitting Gunsmith Barrel Into Dan Wesson 1911

PistolPete

Here is the deal. I've been modifying my Dan Wesson Pointman 1911 with the help of someone from my range. He's done many many mods on many guns including his own. We've added tons of parts to this gun including trigger, hammer, sear, C-more red dot site, ejector, extractor, etc. etc. etc. We are currently adding a Clark gunsmith-fit barrel, and cone comp. We fitted the barrel and comp. to the slide and it is a nice tight fit. THe lockup is good, not too tight not too loose. But when we add the barrel link and install the slide stop it pushes the barrel too high and causes the lockup to be too tight. We ordered a -9 barrel link which helps a little but it is still too tight. Where do you suggest filing at or what suggestions do you have in getting this to fit a little better?

Thanks,

Pete

Ooooh, diving right into the arcana of link fitting as a first job. Brave soul. If the barrel locks up properly without the link (just the barrel and slide stop pin) then you can open the lower hole of the link to give the play you need. Or keep swapping links until you get one the right length. however....

And it is a big however, you cannot use a link so sloppy it allows uncontrolled barrel impact with the frame. For the detailed instructions on checking barrel lnikdown and fit, go to the Schueman web page (damn I wish I had it hand to link) and read the fit check process.

Did you fit the barrel without the cone, then install the cone, and now have a problem? The cone may not be dead-center machied to fit on the barrel. If so, you'll have to do the extra fitting when the cone is on.