Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 155gr Bullet?

G-ManBart

Okay, so I'm looking at trying some 155gr bullets for my Remington 700PSS and I'm a little confused about the differences between the Lapua Scenar and SJ Scenar as well as the difference between the Berger Match BT and Match VLD.

I'm not planning on doing much 1000yd shooting, but I'm going to try and do a little. I tried researching the above and it seems like the VLD is intended for longer ranges than the Match BT and I'm guessing the SJ Scenar is the same compared with the standard Scenar. Is there any significant disadvantage to using the "long range bullet" at shorter ranges? I couldn't think of why a better BC would hurt at shorter ranges, but stranger things have happened. I don't mind paying more for the more expensive bullet if it will work well in both situations since my volume is low enough that it's not really a big deal. Any thoughts would be appreciated. R,

I think it will boil down to if your gun likes the "longer range bullet". If it likes the high BC and flatter shooting bullets I don't see why you would go for a lower BC bullet.

After reading all the "hype" on the 155's... I tried 155's (Scenar and SMK) and my gun doesn't like them as much as the 175 SMK at 100 yards.

Given the loads, I know that the 155's may start to print better than the 175's past 100 yards. But I figure most of the KYL stages are at or near 100 yards (where the 175's perform better for me) and since I rarely see a shot past 450 yards here (and the 175's are more than good at this range) I don't really see a need for having two loads (short and long). So 175's for me with hoser loads using whatever.

I think it will boil down to if your gun likes the "longer range bullet". If it likes the high BC and flatter shooting bullets I don't see why you would go for a lower BC bullet.

After reading all the "hype" on the 155's... I tried 155's (Scenar and SMK) and my gun doesn't like them as much as the 175 SMK at 100 yards.

Given the loads, I know that the 155's may start to print better than the 175's past 100 yards. But I figure most of the KYL stages are at or near 100 yards (where the 175's perform better for me) and since I rarely see a shot past 450 yards here (and the 175's are more than good at this range) I don't really see a need for having two loads (short and long). So 175's for me with hoser loads using whatever.

Thanks RS. That's sorta what I was thinking. If my gun likes them I can't see the higher BC being a negative factor. I'm at the very beginning of working up loads for this gun. So far I've been shooting factory Federal GM Match 168gr BTHP stuff that I scrounged from a buddy who's a sniper :cheers: They get a new lot every year and once they've set their zero for the new lot, have no use for the old lot....of course, I did! I know it shoots those pretty well out to 400yds and I'm loading some 175SMKs with 4064 to try next. It seemed that if I could go with a lighter bullet it might not be a bad thing overall. R,

I had to try the 155 Lapua Scenars, they shot good but did not group as well or as consistent as the 175 SMK's at 300+.

However they shoot flat as you can drive them fast and the BC is awesome. On a known range shot the 175's group better but the flat shooting 155's give them an edge if your ranging is a bit off.

I went back to the 175's as I like the tiny groups and they are easy to find.

Barrel twist rates and barrel lengths?

Just for future reference, for me.

Maybe I'm too cheap and I'll just buy pulled military projectiles instead. :blink:

I thought I had read or heard somewhere something about boat tail bullets not necessarily shooting better at longer ranges.

Heck, it might be in that link that HOMIE posted above.

Maybe it was something about the vortex (vortices?) coming off the back end of a boattail bullet as it drops back through the sound barrier.

Maybe what I read or heard before was that hunting down the best BC'ed bullet you can find is not necessarily the best idea, even though that seems so (counter?)intuitive... Maybe?

The 155's were designed for Palma shooting, to meet the weight limit. Those rifles use 30" barrels to make sure the 155's remain supersonic out to 1000 yards. They use very specific chambers, which is why some guns like them some don't. Sierra 175's will remain supersonic at 1000 out of a shorter barrel, where a 168 may not. You might save yourself some grief by using the 175's right from the start.

The 155's were designed for Palma shooting, to meet the weight limit. Those rifles use 30" barrels to make sure the 155's remain supersonic out to 1000 yards. They use very specific chambers, which is why some guns like them some don't. Sierra 175's will remain supersonic at 1000 out of a shorter barrel, where a 168 may not. You might save yourself some grief by using the 175's right from the start.

Thanks Dan. I'm working up a load with 175 SMK's first, but was considering buying some 155s to try as well since they do seem to be popular. I sorted out some of the other part with a little more research. Seems the Scenar SJ is their name for moly. I also found out that the Berger VLD won't fit in the magazine of many production guns (but obviously would work with a Palma setup). I may still order a box or two of 155s just for grins. The local sniper match I'm hoping to shoot in only goes out to 750yds (found out last night) so they still might be a viable option. R,

One other thing. Remington's have had very long throats in the past. Almost like the chamber was cut for 220 grain round nose bullets. VLD's like to be loaded into the lands in most cases. In my 700 Police, a 168 SMK was barely held in the case when seated out to touch the lands. It was about .25" too long for the magazine. The 168's and 175's are very tolerable to being seated off the lands.

As was mentioned earlier the 155 bullets were made for Palma shooting. Up until a few years ago the official bullet was only a Sierra 155. You really have to try each bullet to see which our gun prefers. The Bergers and the Lapuas are both excellent bullets and many LR matches have been won with both. The real difference with the VLD and the boattails are the ballistic coefficient. Also, most of the VLD are very sensitive to seating length. Keep your eyes out for a couple of new bullets that may ;) be coming out soon from Berger for LR matches. They are almost done with the testing and have been getting very good results.

Adam

Bart,

I have a half box of Sierra Palma 155, you are welcome to them if needed.

I have found that the Hornady AMAX 178 is an awesome bullet in my 308. It has been accurate from 100 to 600. I have never tried it any farther.

Bart,

I have a half box of Sierra Palma 155, you are welcome to them if needed.

I have found that the Hornady AMAX 178 is an awesome bullet in my 308. It has been accurate from 100 to 600. I have never tried it any farther.

Thanks Big D,

I might take you up on that. I was talking with Tate the other day and he said the sniper match usually goes out to 750yds and that he's using 175 SMKs. I've also heard good things about the AMAX...if only someone had them locally! I'm probably going to order more of the 175 SMKs and then a few test bullets like the AMAX and Lapua Scenars and/or Bergers...it'd be a lot easiser if I had a rifle range nearby! R,

The 155 Scenar is the same size as the 175 smk when you hold them in your hand. Don't know about the berger 155 vld. The obvious reasoning to use the good 155s that have the same BC as the 175 is the higher velocity you should get. But if your gun won't shoot the 155s your out of luck. I'm going to try as hard as possible to get those 155 Scenars to shoot.

Nick

VLD's like to be loaded into the lands in most cases. In my 700 Police, a 168 SMK was barely held in the case when seated out to touch the lands. It was about .25" too long for the magazine. The 168's and 175's are very tolerable to being seated off the lands.

From what I understand (little bit of Hi-Power) VLD's are a little more finnicky with regards to OAL than the average bullet, but once you get it tuned you're in good shape. .224 80gr Berger VLD's will absolutely not fit in an AR magazine for service rifle, they're single load only.

• 1 month later...

The 155 Scenars shoot very nice out of my rifle as far as 300 yards go. But if your gonna go 1000 yards I would try what I use and that is a 175 SMK under 44.5 - 45 Varget. Damn nice load....

• 4 weeks later...

I've been shooting the 155 Bergers for over a year now at 1000 yards and they STOMP the 175 SMK in EVERY regard. The "go-to" load for the 155's is 47.8 gr of Varget in Win. brass, 210M primers with a COAL of 2.90" or greater. Now of course this wont fit in your factory box magazine, but it works in my AICS mags just fine. This load works in a lot of rifles, but of course you should work up to it. In my 10 twist Broughton bbl. 26" long it runs 3050fps and is very flat. The flip side of the lighter pills is the heavies. The 190's are also an excellent choice and the 190 SMK will stabilize in your factory 1/12 barrel. I wouldn't waste time trying the Berger 190 though as it most likely wont, even though it is rated for 12 twist and faster. I have lots of load data for the 155's with a variety of powders, as well as the 190's. If there's anything I can do to help just shoot me a PM.

If you really want to make the 155's smoke, I can tell you how to make them shoot 1 1/2 MOA flatter at 1k just by pointing the bullet with the Whidden Bullet Pointing Die. I'm at 25.5 MOA of up elevation to 1000 yards shooting the 155's with less than 7MOA of full value wind, let's see someone do that with a 175 SMK!!!