Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else have this problem with STI?

havotec1

I have a dimple developing on the breachface which is forcing the metal into the firing pin hole thus causing my firing pin to stick foreward. I noticed this problem and someone told me to take a small drill bit and carefully remove the burr which was causing my firing pin stoppage. Since then the dimple seems to continue to grow and is continuing to cause burrs. Has anyone had this problem is there a flaw in my breachface, I heard something about sending it in and they could weld and drill? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

That does not sound like a good thing <_<

the slide may have defective heat treat ..or is soft for some reason.

STI will take care of it ....but you will have to send it to them and it may take a while

they will most likely replace the slide

Call em up and see

jim

That can be caused by breech face corrosion which is caused by leakage around primers. The highest quality slide is not immune.

It happened to me after I had used 10,000 or so +/- rounds of Blazer aluminum. Les Baer told me he sees it when people use Blazer and Winchester White Box. After he cleaned up my breech face and polished the FP hole and I switched ammo, I never had another problem.

Edited by Steve J

That can be caused by breech face corrosion which is caused by leakage around primers. The highest quality slide is not immune.

It happened to me after I had used 10,000 or so +/- rounds of Blazer aluminum. Les Baer told me he sees it when people use Blazer and Winchester White Box. After he cleaned up my breech face and polished the FP hole and I switched ammo, I never had another problem.

What SteveJ said +1

I have an STI Edge that has 10,000rds. thru it and it has an eroded circle on the breachface around the FP. Have always used Fed 100 primers and Fed and Speer brass. Not affecting function so not worried about it yet. But sounds like it is affecting function of yours so it's probably time to send it in.

DonT

The gun had about 10,000 rounds through it when I purchased it last year, I put another 1,500 rounds before I noticed the problem. I have shot only factory rounds, mostly winchester nt, and federal hollow points. The gun is a 40 cal and is in great shape other than my BF problem. :blink:

When my firing pin started sticking at first I thought it was a gummed up firing pin hole that caused my pin to stick then, I thought it was a bent pin, after replacing the pin I noticed the sluffing of the breach face into my firing pin hole.

You say metal, is it peening the FP hole in the slide or allowing it to fill with brass/primer cup metal?

A pocket in the breach face, or a spot that collapses into the slide, would be the most likely problem if it's the slide. A dimple that repeats after dressing down sounds like some kind of external problem. Way overpressure loads or something.

The gun had about 10,000 rounds through it when I purchased it last year, I put another 1,500 rounds before I noticed the problem. I have shot only factory rounds, mostly winchester nt, and federal hollow points. The gun is a 40 cal and is in great shape other than my BF problem. :blink:

When my firing pin started sticking at first I thought it was a gummed up firing pin hole that caused my pin to stick then, I thought it was a bent pin, after replacing the pin I noticed the sluffing of the breach face into my firing pin hole.

Send it in for repair before the erosion gets too deep and loose the Win NT.

Not a ton of experience, but IMHO the STI slides are soft, plus my breachface looked like it was EDM cut and was ruff, mild case of acme. So I polished the breachface before use. This is also one of the tune up items Dawson does on STI guns. This might be a good reason for chrome plating.

Edited by cking

The gun has been hard chromed, I guess I need to send it in and see what they can do, lots of good info thanks guys.

Hard chromed? That may change things. You may have some rusting going on under the chrome from micro cracks. Definitely send it in.