Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

quadriceps

No.343

After several years of neglect I drew the line in the sand and decided that I am not getting any fatter. I've been working out regularly for the last several months. Most of the work I've done on a elliptical machine and a stationary bike. I started lifting weights regularly about two months ago. I want to loose some weight, but that has been very slow in coming. I can tell that I am in better shape based on the feedback I get from the exercise machines and the amount of weight I am lifting has increased steadily. That encourages me and I don't worry about the pounds too much. I tell myself that improvements in performance really are improvements. There is one big exception and that is with leg curls. For some reason I have not been able to increase the weight for leg curls at all. I try to increase the weight I use and my form goes out the door. I cannot do honest repetitions with more weight. WHAT IS THE DEAL? I'm a little bit frustrated. Appreciate any ideas you have. Thanks.

Leg curls tax hamstrings, leg extensions tax quads. I'm pretty much sold on Cross-fit as a concept --- but I need to be in better shape and out of school before I give it a whirl. If you want to develop leg strength using conventional lifting, I've found squats and lunges to be hard to beat......

Squats are pretty much the most important exercise you can do...as long as they are done correctly. My advice would be to check out the site and the forums and forget you ever saw the leg-curl (or extension) machine.

(God help the people I see at the gym doing squats on a smith machine).

After a quick glance at that web site it looks like a new education in catapulting myself out of a comfort zone.

Yeah, that's pretty much it in a nutshell... :lol:

BTW - you're not using quads to do leg curls ;) Those would be extensions.... But... you're far better off doing more functional movements, it would seem...

Leg curls tax hamstrings, leg extensions tax quads.

If you want to develop leg strength using conventional lifting, I've found squats and lunges to be hard to beat......

I agree with the above, but in addition to squats and lunges I would add RDLs (Romanian Deadlifts) to better target the hamstrings if that's what the OP wants.

Also I have people add reps to set (up to 15) before adding weight, at which point they can drop drop the reps down as needed and still maintain correct form. Its often more difficult to add weight than to add an extra rep or two.

You guys are giving me a drink of water with a fire hose. Thanks for all the great information. Let me ask this question. How is it possible that I can do exercises for many parts of my body and I see improvement, (I am defining improvement by being able to increase the amount of weight that I can safely lift on a regular basis) however, one part of my body doesn't seem to respond even though I am applying the same intensity to the workout?

The most important thing in squats (and similar lifts) are that you must stabilize the weight across all 3 axis. The smith machine takes 2 of those out of the equation and doesn't let your body move in the way it was designed to.

I just don't like the idea of "targeting" any muscle group. Your body was built to work together as a unit....why train it separately?

I dunno about you, but my pull muscles are way stronger than my push muscles (the deadlift is a great example).

No. 343

I'm not sure why that part of your body isn't responding to those workouts...however I can unequivocally guarantee that if you start working out your body in a functional manner, you will see gains (probably better than you ever imagined possible).

I dunno about you, but my pull muscles are way stronger than my push muscles

jake, i doubt your hamstring is stronger than your quad or your tricep is stronger than your bicep. they could be, you are kind of freaky looking :P

no 343, jake is right, you can't isolate muscles, just keep exercising and you'll notice a difference.

jake, i doubt your hamstring is stronger than your quad or your tricep is stronger than your bicep. they could be, you are kind of freaky looking :P

Hmmm... My quads are definitely stronger than my hams, but my triceps are a lot stronger than my biceps... ;)

Let me ask this question. How is it possible that I can do exercises for many parts of my body and I see improvement, (I am defining improvement by being able to increase the amount of weight that I can safely lift on a regular basis) however, one part of my body doesn't seem to respond even though I am applying the same intensity to the workout?

Usually it's just the variation between people. Everyone has their weak areas and strong areas.