Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL 1000

A used Dillon RL-1000 is going on the market in my neighborhood, and I was wondering how this press compares to the newer 1050 and Super 1050.

Is it any better or was the reduction in price for the 1050 (compared to the 1000) a result of better technology rather than lowering the "goodness" of the product?

Also, how is the parts availability from Dillon? Are they working off a fixed stock that will never be replenished, or do they keep making parts for the 1000 as long as there are presses in use?

The RL1000 had a longer stroke than the original 1050, as I recall. They were, also to my understanding, hand built. The 1050 was designed to eliminate the hand work needed when building the 1000, plus having the shorter stroke for use with handgun cartridges.

I'm certain someone will be able to give more details, or correct those areas I may be wrong on since I've never used a 1000.

Guy

Also in another thread someone got a RL1000 tool head off ebay and it doesn't fit a 1050. The tool head for the 1000 is smaller in diameter. You wouldn't be able to get additional 1050 tool heads for it without some changes or modifications (I think).

Gary

Looks like I should have looked for the thread. The tool head isn't smaller, the one in question was modified. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...;hl=Dillon+1050

Edited by get2now

I think the RL1000 is a magic machine, I would love to get my sticky paws on one.

Get hold of Dillon ASAP, find out what they can do as far as parts are concerned.

I understand they will buy any used RL1000 going as there are some commercial concerns that use them a lot. They are supposed to be as good and in some peoples minds better than the 1050. The cost difference seems to be in the cost / type (see previous thread) of the materials and the fact they took so long and so many parts to make. They seem to go for obscene money, as in more than a new 1050 even though they are somewhat used, if they are still in good condition. So if the price is right snap it up.

BUT check with Dillon.

The RL-1000 was designed to be able to load 30-06 length cartridges (to feed a 1917 Watercolled Browning). manufacture was discontinued about 15-16 years ago. No major castings are left(no toolheads), and as old stock parts run out they are typically not being made, due to cost involved in producing such a small quantity of individual parts. The molds are no longer usable. The official Dillon policy is that the RL-1000 is no longer supported. It had a one year warranty. It was very expensive to produce, as it was primarily stainless steel. A great machine, but complicated and exensive to make. With the electric cassefeeder, it sold for $2475 new. FWIW :ph34r:

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
I'm interested, please E-mail or PM me a link to CGN?

Thanks for the help.

If anyone is desperate for a RL 1000, one is currently up for sale on CGN.

Done! Good hunting. If it was winter and the seller was from my part of the country, I'd drive the beast down for ya.

• 7 months later...
  • 13 years later...
1 hour ago, mmgs said:

I have a dillon rl 1000 bought from an estate don't know much about it but what is yall 's thoughts keep or sale

Do you reload at all?  If so, the RL1000 is pretty damn fast.  There will be some time to understand all the steps, but it's a lot of fun to reload on a progressive especially with 8 stations.  The RL1000 can't load the longer rifle cartridges IIRC, but for stuff like 9mm .223, and 308 it's great.

To sell, I'd expect somewhere around $1400 to $1800 if everything is there.

9 hours ago, mmgs said:

I have a dillon rl 1000 bought from an estate don't know much about it but what is yall 's thoughts keep or sale

They are great machines but there is no support for them. If you have all the parts or can make what you need, it can crank out lots of ammo at a really good pace. 

On 2/12/2023 at 10:31 AM, SnipTheDog said:

Do you reload at all?  If so, the RL1000 is pretty damn fast.  There will be some time to understand all the steps, but it's a lot of fun to reload on a progressive especially with 8 stations.  The RL1000 can't load the longer rifle cartridges IIRC, but for stuff like 9mm .223, and 308 it's great.

To sell, I'd expect somewhere around $1400 to $1800 if everything is there.

On 2/12/2023 at 5:59 PM, scooterj said:

They are great machines but there is no support for them. If you have all the parts or can make what you need, it can crank out lots of ammo at a really good pace. 

Rl1000 goes to 30-06

Edited by Powder Finger

On 2/28/2008 at 2:44 AM, gm iprod said:

I think the RL1000 is a magic machine, I would love to get my sticky paws on one.

Get hold of Dillon ASAP, find out what they can do as far as parts are concerned.

I understand they will buy any used RL1000 going as there are some commercial concerns that use them a lot. They are supposed to be as good and in some peoples minds better than the 1050. The cost difference seems to be in the cost / type (see previous thread) of the materials and the fact they took so long and so many parts to make. They seem to go for obscene money, as in more than a new 1050 even though they are somewhat used, if they are still in good condition. So if the price is right snap it up.

BUT check with Dillon.

I have a rl 1000 I don't know much about might possibly sale or trade  really like my 550's alligatorhunts@gmail.com Mountainmansgunshop.com