Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Minor 45ACP load, 200gr lead, Trailboss

mcb

I am working up a minor 45ACP load to shoot my XD-40ACP in Production. I already shoot my XD-40 in Limited-10 and got the XD-45ACP Tactical in a trade so I though I would try in in production. The article in Front Sight a few month ago probably influenced that too. :lol:

So I picked up some 200gr RSFP bullets from a local company (National Bullet) cheap and figure I would see what I could do with it. Since I was going for Minor I also thought I would try Trailboss as my powder. There is not a lot of data for 45ACP and Trailboss but I found enough to feel comfortable working up a load. Here are my loads I tested and some chrono data for them. Testing was done in my XD-45ACP Tactical (5inch barrel) in an indoor range, low humidity and about 55-60degrees. I have replaced the recoil system on XD-45ACP with Don's Skinny Guild Rod (allows the use of 1911 recoil springs) and a 18lbs recoil spring (IIRC the stock spring is 22lbs).

Load 1)

200gr RSFP Lead (National Bullet)

4.0gr Trailboss

Winchester Large Pistol Primer

OAL 1.188 (that's were the cannelure put the bullet)

Crimp 0.470 (Dillon crimp die)

Low: 666.6fps

High: 713.7fps

Average: 688.9fps

Power Factor: 137.8

Extreme Spread: 47.09

Std Deviation: 18.54

5rds

A total of 15 rds were fired and I had, surprisingly, no jams or feeding problems but I was surprised the slide locked back. Frequently it felt like the slide never made it back to stop against the locking block. As you can see velocity was not very consistent, not sure if that was inconsistency in powder charge or just poor burning at this low pressure. These were not very accurate, point of impact was lower (~4inches) than factory ammunition and at 50ft I could only manage about a 6-7inch 5-shot group. Super soft recoil but not very accurate. I could probably drop to a 16lbs spring to ensure reliable cycling but the accuracy would not likely improve.

Load 2)

4.5gr Trailboss

Low: 704.2fps

High: 796.0fps

Average: 739.0fps

Power Factor: 147.8

Extreme Spread: 91.75

Std Deviation: 34.85

5rds

This load ran better but was barely achieving a full stroke on the slide. It was sightly more consistent in velocity but not much and only a minor improvement in accuracy. Still probably 5inch 5-shot groups. Point of Impact did come up some.

Load 3)

5.0gr Trailboss

Low: 774.5.2fps

High: 805.0fps

Average: 789.4fps

Power Factor: 157.9

Extreme Spread: 30.44

Std Deviation: 12.74

5rds

This load also ran pretty good. The case was very full, not a compress load but getting close. The powder is so fluffy its really hard to tell if a load is compressed or not. Even going through the powder check station the plunger would noticably pack down the powder charge. Slide did a full cycle with every round but was still a nice mild recoil. Accuracy was much improved 2inch 5-shot groups at 50ft and basically the same point of impact I am use to with factory 45ACP. This will probably be my load at least until I try some other components. Not as soft as I was hoping for with the 158 power factor but it will work.

I do think at least with a 5+ inch barrel you might get to major with 200gr bullets. The maximum recommended powder charge with 200gr lead bullets is 5.5gr and if you extrapolate my data to that you get a PF of about 168. I would attempt that with caution at pressure may do screw things as you start to compress the powder charge.

Any suggesting for better lead bullet would be appreciated. National Bullet's bullets were OK I had a little leading near the chamber but they are cheap ($74.55/1000 out the door)

Hope that was helpful or at least mildly interesting.

Later

mcb

3.5 gr of Titegroup or 3.0 gr of Clays.

How is the smoke and leading with Titegroup. I have a 4lb container in the cabinet but I figure with how much heat that puts into the gun that it would likely start melting the back of the bullet making leading a problem. The Trailboss produced very little smoke with the lead bullets. What velocity did you get with the 3.5 grains of Titegroup in a 45ACP? I assume that was a 200gr bullet?

Thanks

mcb

If you find a powder that does not smoke with wax lubed cast bullets, be sure to let us know; because I have not seen one.

The Trailboss still produced some smoke but not near as bad as some of the guys I have seen shoot lead bullets and faster powders at our USPSA matches. I am not as worried about the smoke as I am the leading of the barrel. I will only be using lead bullets outdoors.

mcb

The smoke comes from 2 things. One being the lube used some more than others, the other factor is the powder from what I understand Titegroup has a high nitroglycirn content within the powder which adds to the smoke. Clays, solo 1000 or 231 for example don't create as much smoke from what I have been told. Yes cast bulletts smoke more than jacketed bullets do but when you are on a budget there are tradeoffs.

Edited by DEADEYE

A friend of mine tried Trail Boss in 9mm and couldn't get it to cycle his XD with a full case so he sent an e-mail to see about compressing the loads. In no uncertain terms he was told DO NOT compress Trail Boss. The stuff is not meant to be used in autos. Compressing it will break the little buggers and pressure will spike violently according to the mail he received back.

I do not like Tite-group with lead or moly. The stuff is like 37% or 38% percent nitroglycerin and it burns HOT. I got LOTS of smoke and some leading with it. Get yourself a container of Solo 1000. It is by far and away the best powder I have found for lead and/or moly. 5.0 grains under a 185 SWC is my preferred range load. Ten rounds all touching at 40 feet if I do my part and just a bit of a haze. No leading either.

As always, YMMV, but I think you'd like the powder.

I have had great success with 3.8 grs. of Clays and either the 200 gr. SWC or 200 gr. RNFP in my Glock 21 with Bar-Sto barrel. I fired a few thousand rounds of both these bullets and never ever had feeding issues. It always took down steel without any problems and it was the best .45 Minor load I ever used.

Dave Sinko