Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trimming .223 brass on the cheap

outerlimits

Has anyone tried the Possum trimmer ? Does it work as well as the Gracey or Giraud ? By as well I mean repeatable accuracy ?

You should find someone who will let you try their Giraud and see what quality of a job it does, and with ease and speed. Be sure you have funds ready to purchase one though as you will most likely be ruined to it at that point :D .

May I ask what do the people who don't have the Gracey/Giraud Want in a case trimmer design and what kind of price range do they deem appropriate?

Do you want something that goes in a drill or is powered on it's own?

Do you want something that works on a dillon 650 or dillon case feeder or something you feed 1 at a time by hand?

Just looking for Ideas. The possom hollow trimmer is something I have made for myself in the past but it still sorta sucks using a drill.

I've never looked into the price of the Giraud but I have been thinking of designing a high volume accurate trimmer. I have a dillon trimmer but it tends to heat up and change the trim length a few .001" more like .003".

Nick

Has anyone tried the Possum trimmer ? Does it work as well as the Gracey or Giraud ? By as well I mean repeatable accuracy ?

You should find someone who will let you try their Giraud and see what quality of a job it does, and with ease and speed. Be sure you have funds ready to purchase one though as you will most likely be ruined to it at that point :D .

I have a Gracey & love it. I just find it hard to believe that something like the Possum could produce the same results but I've seen stranger things.

WOW the Giraud is $375 and Gracey is $250. IF you value your down time I guess they will pay for themselves keeping you from long hard tedious ways of trimming or paying someone else to do it for you. OR you could be like me and don't practice so you don't have to reload that often. Maybe I'll just make a precision fit die head for the 650 and see if that helps the length variation problem with the dillon trimmer.

The possum hollow is a very good price $20 but you may run into a few problems using it. Unless you can get it into a drill or something and get it Vertical, brass will eventually hinder fully inserting the case adapter into the cutting body if the adapter is too tight on the case and comes out with the case partially(if the case adapter is a slip fit like the one I made). Other than that I like it better than the lee type trimmer or the hand crank models. I'm surprised they don't offer bullet Meplat trim adapters since it is the same concept.

Nick

May I ask what do the people who don't have the Gracey/Giraud Want in a case trimmer design and what kind of price range do they deem appropriate?

Do you want something that goes in a drill or is powered on it's own?

Do you want something that works on a dillon 650 or dillon case feeder or something you feed 1 at a time by hand?

Just looking for Ideas. The possom hollow trimmer is something I have made for myself in the past but it still sorta sucks using a drill.

I've never looked into the price of the Giraud but I have been thinking of designing a high volume accurate trimmer. I have a dillon trimmer but it tends to heat up and change the trim length a few .001" more like .003".

Nick

I would really like to see something similar to the Dillon trimmer that mounts on the press but trims AND chamfers only. Not trim and size like the Dillon does. This would probably reduce the length variations a bit.

I think the reason the Dillon trimmer "sizes" the neck is because the case would spin in the trimmer if it didn't clamp down on the case somehow... I figured out the reason you get variations in trim length too; it comes from the other side of the toolhead. keep the brass lubed uniformly, any variation will change the trim length. you will have to reset the trimmer on once fired if you last did twice/thrice fired and visa versa. if there is no brass in the sizing/decaping station, the trimmer will trim longer than if there is a piece of brass there... etc... by keeping an eye on all of this I get brass that is +/- .001 in length with a Dillon trimmer. (and +/- .003 isn't a bad thing either, its being shot in a AR15 in 3 gun matches, not a bolt gun in a bench rest competition)

I've used all three trimmmers, and I like the Dillon the best. The other two are labor intensive, and my fingers get to hurting after the 1st bucket of brass! :blink::)

Did an experiment about 3 years ago; loaded some brass that was trimmed by the Dillon trimmer, BUT NOT CHAMFERED. Also loaded some that was trimmed and chamfered in both a Gracey and Giraud. Took this test ammo to the range. Loaded 3 AR15 mags with the 3 seperate load types and shot groups ramdomly at 200 yards, cool barrel, hot barrel, the works. guess which brass was the most accurate? The brass that was trimmed in the Dillon trimmer... made a believer out of me!

I have a 2 stage process in loading 223; one tool head is a brass processing head, the other is the reloader head. (using a 1050) the 1st head sizes, decrimps, and trims, the second primes, powders, & seats. I tumble the brass inbetween to remove the case lube. when the round comes out of the 2nd head, its ready to guage and shoot. don't have to handle each case (after presorting) and I can do each process in bulk. I get 5k cases cleaned/sorted, put on the processing head, and go to town! then I can load it as I need it with the loading head... Learned all of this from a wise old marine and a former section coordinator... :surprise:

YMMV...

jj

I've been looking into trimmers as well. I've been looking at the dillon trimmer but I guess with it you still have to chamfer the brass when your done or is there not enough of a lip on it to worry about in ARs? I know in my hornady trimmer if the brass is long it leaves a pretty good rim on it.

I've been looking at the dillon trimmer but I guess with it you still have to chamfer the brass when your done or is there not enough of a lip on it to worry about in ARs?

I don't chamfer with the Dillon trimmer, works fine in all 4 of our ARs...accuracy is great too (2 JPs, 1 Sabre, 1 frankengun w/ DPMS upper). I keep the trim length at 1.750-1.755, and bump it with a very slight crimp after seating the bullet and the lip or edge will not be in play.

jj

I have been using a powered RCBS trimmer with the 3 way trimmer head: trims and chamfers inside and out in one step. It is a little slow but I got it on sale for 180 bucks afew years ago and I have trimmed thousands of .223, 25-06, 45/70, and .308 (mostly .223) with no problems.

I've been looking into trimmers as well. I've been looking at the dillon trimmer but I guess with it you still have to chamfer the brass when your done or is there not enough of a lip on it to worry about in ARs? I know in my hornady trimmer if the brass is long it leaves a pretty good rim on it.

I didn't have to chamfer anything when I was loading FMJ ammo. When I started loading Nosler B-Tips, I had to chamfer the cases cause it was taking a lot of force to seat the bullet and the seating die was leaving a ring on the bullet.

As soon as I chamfered the brass, it was no problem to seat them.