Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you change the mag release on a glock?

Tray

I want to use a glock in production competition (G17 or 34 haven't decided). Problem I have is I cannot reach the release button without rotating the pistol which forces me to regrip the gun when ready to shoot. On my open gun (EAA witness) I changed the mag release to be on the right side.

Is this possible on a Glock?

I want to use a glock in production competition (G17 or 34 haven't decided). Problem I have is I cannot reach the release button without rotating the pistol which forces me to regrip the gun when ready to shoot. On my open gun (EAA witness) I changed the mag release to be on the right side.

Not with a stock glock frame.

There are a couple aftermarket releases which might make it easier for you to reach, but

it's not possible to change them to the right side of the frame.

An aftermarket frame might have that feature, but then you would not be in

production.

production.

In fact, I don't believe ANY external modifications other than grip tape and sights are allowed if you want to shoot in Production (at least in USPSA).

In USPSA you are allowed to swap a Glock standard mag release with a Glock extended mag release (*must* be the Glock part, not aftermarket). On the the 17 and 34, you cannot switch it over to the right side. IIRC, the Glock 21SF does allow you to swap sides, but I'm not 100% sure. If you haven't bought the gun yet, you might also want to look at the upcoming S&W MandP 9L or MandP 9 (M&P).

Please, not being a snot here. Just a point of reference. TGO's thumbs are about 1-1/4" long. :) He has to pretty much lose his grip (figure of speech) to drop a mag. And, well he's TGO. It's something you can work around with practice.

Jim M

When we were taking a class with Manny one of the glock guys was having trouble getting to the mag button. What Manny had him do was as he slid his support hand off the gun he would drag the index finger along the trigger guard and pull the gun/mag button right to the thumb. The support hand continues to the new mag as you drop the mag and rest-set the strong hand. It was very fast and worked great after a little practice.

Just another quick note: if you haven't already purchased the Glock, give the M&P a serious look. I'm a southpaw, and I have one and that's one of the features I like best....... plus the interchangeable backstrap. Good option to think over.

Best of luck!

-Mike

Not with a stock glock frame.

There are a couple aftermarket releases which might make it easier for you to reach, but

it's not possible to change them to the right side of the frame.

production.

Thanks! I was afraid of that!

In USPSA you are allowed to swap a Glock standard mag release with a Glock extended mag release (*must* be the Glock part, not aftermarket). On the the 17 and 34, you cannot switch it over to the right side. IIRC, the Glock 21SF does allow you to swap sides, but I'm not 100% sure. If you haven't bought the gun yet, you might also want to look at the upcoming S&W MandP 9L or MandP 9 (M&P).

I am going to try a friends Glock with the extended mag release to see if it makes a difference.

I have checked out the M&P 9. I really liked the feel of the grip and could reach the mag release without changing the grip with the middle size palm swell installed. The disadvantage as I see it, for the M&P is the cost of trigger job and overwhelming support for it such as the Glock has. Granted I haven't researched it as much as I have the Glock. The initial cost is higher as well. I plan to go to our local match this weekend to see what is being shot and several have offered to let me shoot there pistols. I'll have a more solid impression after that!

When we were taking a class with Manny one of the glock guys was having trouble getting to the mag button. What Manny had him do was as he slid his support hand off the gun he would drag the index finger along the trigger guard and pull the gun/mag button right to the thumb. The support hand continues to the new mag as you drop the mag and rest-set the strong hand. It was very fast and worked great after a little practice.

Thats a good idea! I'll have to give it a try! Thanks!

\

I've got small hands so I do this also. I also use my support had to push the gun back in place after a mag change.