Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes the tightest case gauge?

austinkroe

I have the Dillon case gauge and I have rounds that it passes but that will not go in my barrel. If I skip the crimp step they pass the Dillon but not my barrel. Any ideas on where to turn because I think that using the Dillon case gauge is pointless?

#1 are you sure your crimp die is set right ?

#2 I like to simply use my barrel for the perfect case gauge. I bought a Dillon .40 case gauge when I 1st started reloading and now it is a lovely paperweight ... at work, on my desk. :)

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Yeah, the crimp is set right. I meant it only as an example of things that would fail my barrel but pass the gauge. I was trying to see which was tighter (get one to fail but the other to pass).

I would use the barrel but I just hate having to take it out of the gun and wipe off the slide glide every time I want to reload.

Edited by austinkroe

I typically buy EGW and ream them to match the gun. Haven't seen an instance yet where the ammo will gauge and not fit in the barrel. You might want to hit your barrel with a finish reamer too. There is a good chance the reamer was tired when it cut your chamber and your chamber is actually a good bit tighter than it has any reason to be.

You might want to hit your barrel with a finish reamer too. There is a good chance the reamer was tired when it cut your chamber and your chamber is actually a good bit tighter than it has any reason to be.

Great advice. My Dillon case gages are well under speck, and will find any thing anywhere near to large for my guns that have a decently tight chambers.

Sounds like the EGW is the tightest guage.

Austin, do you know what it is about the failing rounds that make them fail? Are you sure that the bullet isn't hitting the lands because the round is loaded too long for the barrel? Your barrel isn't a factory STI barrel so it may have been reamed shorter than what mine is.

I ask this because by Springfield 1911's caused me fits at first because of this exact problem. I just ended up loading a little shorter and the problem was solved.

Chris

I have used the Dillon and the EGW. I find the Dillon to be a bit tighter. If it fits in the Dillon guage, it will fit in my chanmber which seems to be a little on the tight side too. OAL was a problem for me too, so I shortened it up and now my STI purrs.

The easiest option would be to take the barrel to a machine shop. Have them mic the chamber and make you a case gauge.

I can whip those out within a half thou in my sleep. Any good machine shop with a lathe should be able to cut a piece of stainless round bar and bore the ID to your EXACT specs.

Something strange going on with your crimp step there...is the die clean inside? What bullets are you loading? diameter? My first inclination is pick up a Lee FCD (+/-$12) and your problems will likely go away.

I use a Dillon size die, Redding competition seater die and Lee FCD. It seems no one makes a perfect set of dies.

my .02c

Something strange going on with your crimp step there...is the die clean inside? What bullets are you loading? diameter? My first inclination is pick up a Lee FCD (+/-$12) and your problems will likely go away.

I use a Dillon size die, Redding competition seater die and Lee FCD. It seems no one makes a perfect set of dies.

my .02c

I have a similar problem. I bought an L. E. Wilson case gauge for 9mm from Midway and have had issues with some of my cartridges fitting in my Glock 17 with a Jarvis barrel. I've since adusted my dies and check about every 5th round in my Jarvis barrel just to make sure the dies haven't gotten out of adjustment.

I've also noticed that my Jarvis barrel prefers a different OAL than my OEM barrel. Nothing is perfect :surprise: