Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Loads

00bullitt

I know this is not the reloading forum,but curious as to what people are shooting and loading. If you could post specifics of your load? I'm interested in going to a 55 grain load straight across the board. FMJ's for hosing and a polymer tipped round for LR accuracy. I remember the survey Pat Kelley did and it seemed that alot of folks are shooting a lighter bullet across the board. Input and info please?

How far (max range) are you shooting?

Out to about 450 max

Tod,

For stages with precision shots - 55gr V-max 24gr H335 - they'll hit flash targets out to beyond 400yds pretty easily out of both of my match AR's (18" and 20" barrels). For up close stages, same load only using whatever mil spec 55gr bullets I have handy, usually a bulk buy from Weideners. W748 also works well.

The 55gr V-max's seem to group well out of just about every AR-15 I've owned over the past 10yrs.

I've gone to using Scharch once fired LC brass for everything, precision and blastin' and it seems to work about the same as new factory or fully prepped fired brass.

Good Luck,

David

How far (max range) are you shooting?

Out to about 450 max

Tod,

For stages with precision shots - 55gr V-max 24gr H335 - they'll hit flash targets out to beyond 400yds pretty easily out of both of my match AR's (18" and 20" barrels). For up close stages, same load only using whatever mil spec 55gr bullets I have handy, usually a bulk buy from Weideners. W748 also works well.

The 55gr V-max's seem to group well out of just about every AR-15 I've owned over the past 10yrs.

I've gone to using Scharch once fired LC brass for everything, precision and blastin' and it seems to work about the same as new factory or fully prepped fired brass.

Good Luck,

David

David....Thanks! Thats exactly along the lines of what I was planning. I bought a case of the 55 FMJ's from Montana Gold and am so far impressed. They may be a tad more accurate than the Hornadys I used. I am going to try the Hornadys and Noslers but hope the Hornadys work well as they are a good bit cheaper. I currently have a good supply of H335 too so that should be good.

Nosler Ballistic Tip, 55 grain, 25.5 H335, Remington 7 1/2 primer, mixed brass. Accuracy Load sub 1/2" at 100

Remington 55 JHP or JSP, 25.5 H335, Winchester SR primer, mixed brass.....close targets. 1" at 100

Are there noticable differences in performance with different primers? I've always just used WSR.

Nosler Ballistic Tip, 55 grain, 25.5 H335, Remington 7 1/2 primer, mixed brass. Accuracy Load sub 1/2" at 100

Remington 55 JHP or JSP, 25.5 H335, Winchester SR primer, mixed brass.....close targets. 1" at 100

Are there noticable differences in performance with different primers? I've always just used WSR.

Not really, the load with the Remington 7 1/2's shoots so well, why change it? I still have about a case of the Remington primers.

For 100 yards and under

Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT

TAC 26.5gr

2.860 from the Ogive

Winchester primers

For 100 yards and over

Hornday 60gr V-max

TAC 26.5gr

2.860 from Ogive

Winchester primers going to experiment with Remiongton primers

note:windage has to be adjusted for 3 clicks right

from 55gr Zero.

Under 1 inch group at 300 yards post-108-1204051094.jpg

Edited by ap3

I load them to 2.860 from the OGIVE, so they a pretty long loaded. I also use Lake City cases which have more case capacity as well as consistent weight. The 60gr V-Max are flying at about 3100, which is about the same as a military load velocity.

Hoser Ammo

25.0 grains AA2230

Hornady 55gr FMJ

Winchester SR Primers

1 fired Mixed Brass 2.225 OAL

Approx 3100 FPS from 18" JP 1-8 barrel

Accuracy Ammo

25.0 grains AA2230

Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tips

Winchester SR Primers

1 fired Federal Brass 2.245 OAL

Approx 3125 FPS from 18" JP 1-8 barrel

Edited by Chris

26.0-26.1 Varget (Compressed load)

69 Sierra HPBT

2.245-2.25 OAL

About 2800 FPS.

once fired brass prepped by scharch.

WSP primers.

Lee crimp die (Very important. Without it i wasn't getting enough port gas pressure. The bolt would work but not lock back).

jp15 18" upper 1-8 twist medium barrel.

Lower left group in picture. Just seeing how the loads grouped.

When I got home I just adjusted my meopta 2 clicks to the right and one click down.

Good to go!

Worked awesome at West Point match. Looking foward to the CTI match.

As always lower powder wieght by 10% and work up. Not responsible for use on information. A lawyer made me do it. ;)post-6710-1204071518.jpg

Uh, guys, magazine length is 2.260.

The overall length is from the OGIVE!!!!!

Does that mean the COAL is like 3.000? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I understand how a person could cram a round measuring 2.860 from anywhere (including the ogive) into a magazine that measures 2.260. I don't mean to be a dick, I just don't understand that.

EDIT: Ok, you're using one of these?

Edited by Spiff034

Uh, guys, magazine length is 2.260.

The overall length is from the OGIVE!!!!!

Are you using a Stoney Point tool for the measurement? If so, you're probably including the length of the tool in that dimension.

DAN SIERPINA Yes, that is what I am doing I should have been a little more clear. When I am working up loads I like to remove all variable, so I can get the powder charge right.

Spiff034, that's cool I should have provided more info: This is what I am talking about, Which is the same thing as your post just a different version. Actually, I think the one you found by Sinclair is a little more practical.

Edit:I went back and measured the round without the Stoney point gauge and the OAL is 2.25

Edited by ap3

Good deal ap3, your short range load is exactly the same as mine, except I'm using quite a bit less powder...I think I'm running 25.4 gr TAC at 2.250 with a Hornady 55 FMJBT, mixed brass and WSRs. I have no idea how that chronos, but it runs great in my rifle.