Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Muff Problem

shooterx10

I got a pair of Radians Pro-amps which are identical to the Dillon HP-1. However, I started to get static in the left ear muff (never on the right). It comes and goes and the static is not always there. I was wondering if any of you have that problem with other brands as well.

Just a guess, but try cleaning battery contacts with a pencil eraser.

Other than that I am assuming a possible loose/poor connection elsewhere.

Good luck.

Travis F.

Guest Larry Cazes

How do these compare to Peltor 6s? I will be buying another pair pretty soon and was wondering if I should stay with what I have now or look for an improvement. I like the TAC6s but they eat up batteries pretty quickly. Is this typical of the other brands as well?

I only get static in my Pro-Ears in two situations. First, the batteries need changed (and then not only is there static, but other weird sounds), or second, when I am on a range radio, which I think would drive most electronic muffs crazy. I'm actually thinking about buying the new Pro-Ears that have the radio jack in them to try to keep the radio away from my 'ears', but they are sooooo d*mn expensive.........

I have owned just about every electronic muff made at one time or another. I have settled on two, IMO, that are the best available. For the money Radians are the best buy. Dealer cost is around $52, retail runs $79-$99. They do clip like all of the Peltors. This bothers some people. If you must have a set that does not clip then go with the Pro-Ears Predator. They have plenty of room in the cup, are light weight, offer good protection and have very long battery life. The Pro-Ears Magnums offer the best protection, but are very heavy. The Howard Leight Leightning also offers good protection and is much lighter than the Pro-Ears Magnum. It is slightly heavier than the Predator. The Pro-Ears and Leightning use the same electronics. The Predator sells for $160 at Natchez, dealer is about $120. The Leightnings have the same problem that all of the Howard Leight muffs have in that the ear cup seals tend to get hard in less than a year.

The Radians and the PE Predator have plenty of room in the ear cup for your ears. The Radians use 6 AAA batteries. All of the above offer more than enough protection outdoors. I do use plugs with the electronic muffs indoors.