Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sorter barrel = more energy through the comp?

epault

Okay everybudy agrees that a 12" rifle length gas system cycles less violently then a 6" carbine length gas system. Would the shorter barrel (14 1/2" or 16") gas system make a comp more effective? which would you gain more benefet from, the bolt carrier moving less abruptly or the comp holding the the rifle flat?

You don't need the shorter barrel. Due to the larger case volumes, a larger volume of gas is produced and at a higher PSI when compared to a pistol. Add to this the weight of the rifle and more points of physical contact on the rifle and what you get is a rifle that doesn't need a very effective comp to keep it flat.

Unless you properly set up a comp for a shorter barrel, I would suspect any comp you put on a 14.5 barrel is going to too effective and force the barrel down below your line of sight.

Erik

Buffer and bolt movement will always be the bigger part of percieved recoil, now that doesn't say that a good comp cant change the way that recoil is felt as to My amigo Eriks point. A well ballance comp will keep the muzzle "flat" where as one not so well designed won't dampen the muzzle movement near as well., BUT the weigh impacting at both ends of bolt travel are usually the events that cause the rifle to "dance" around. One of the softest flatest rifles I ever shot was a plain crowned barrel with a Titanium carrier, air spring, and adjustable gas block. The moon and stars aligned and all of this was perfectly ballanced to the load he was using ( I couldn't duplicate it, though I tried ). KurtM