Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Boom

slavex

So had a case blowout today, not a overcharge as near as we can tell, probably just a case reloaded too many times. only damage to the Stock II was the extractor launching about 3 ft right of me and burying itself 1/2 an inch into a railway tie wall. extractor is toast, although the claw is fine, the pin is obviously broken and the spring is gone. No damage to anything else, not even a mark on the feed ramp or slide. Didn't even feel much different than a normal shot, except for the gas venting out the side of the case.

post-2879-1203919122.jpg

So had a case blowout today, not a overcharge as near as we can tell, probably just a case reloaded too many times. only damage to the Stock II was the extractor launching about 3 ft right of me and burying itself 1/2 an inch into a railway tie wall. extractor is toast, although the claw is fine, the pin is obviously broken and the spring is gone. No damage to anything else, not even a mark on the feed ramp or slide. Didn't even feel much different than a normal shot, except for the gas venting out the side of the case.

Glad you weren't hurt.

Has happened to me and buddies of mine several times with 40 S&W "range brass". If you're shooting hot loads and shitty brass, the cases will separate from time to time and one of the typical consequences is that the extractor takes a dive. However, none of us has ever had any problems with it other than having to replace the extractor and probably wanting to clean the gun afterwards..

Moral is... use good brass when you're using fast powders.

;-)

yeah it was a practice day, so no one was beside me. I imagine that would've ruined someones day for sure. Guess I'm gonna carry a couple spare extractors with me now. It was 9mm, 147gr bullets, not even hotloads. 131 PF is all.

yeah it was a practice day, so no one was beside me. I imagine that would've ruined someones day for sure. Guess I'm gonna carry a couple spare extractors with me now. It was 9mm, 147gr bullets, not even hotloads. 131 PF is all.

????