Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Rifle Coaching...

I have recently come to the conclusion that, using an AR-15 with a match barrel and meticulously handloaded match ammo, the best groups that I can get are around 2.5-3" at 200 yards off a sandbag rest. This is really not good enough, and I want to improve.

I'm looking for any resources for position rifle shooting in the DC/MD/VA area. Ideally, if there are any serious Highpower Rifle or IBS shooters around who would be willing to do some coaching, that would be great. Otherwise, if anyone has suggestions on books, videos, internet resources...anything. I'm all ears.

What have you got?

- Chris

With Atlanta Arms and Ammo 73grn. Berger AMU loads, I get ~3.0" groups at 200 yards. I am told (and have seen the targets) that this load is capable of 2-2.5" groups at 600 yards from a machine rest. Other factory match ammo has yielded similar results.

Scope for accuracy testing is a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x in a JP mount. My usual 3-gun scope is a TA-11 ACOG.

I'm not satisfied with my present level of accuracy because I'm not satisfied with my present level of accuracy. If 1.25MOA is all the gun/ammo/shooter will ever do, then so be it, but I think that there are better results to be had.

Trigger is an ~3# JP single stage.

I'm shooting from sandbags, front and rear, on a concrete block bench.

- Chris

What other kinds of guns have you/ do you shoot groups with? do you have a bolt action gun that you can get sub MOA out of? have you shot a rimfire much bench rest?

Do you know about Lock time with the AR?

Lots can be learned from a good rimfire gun. most of the guns will out shoot the Amoe that is available. the 22 amoe has gone down hill off of what is available. But the Rimfire will teach you to call your shots.

Set your scope at low power like 2 or 3 power make three good shots and call each one, thin turn up the scope and find the hits if you did not call them with the rimfire , your just burning extra cost with the AR on amoe that you could learn with a 22.

shooting good groups off a rest is a real skill and not a simple thing. even shooting groups at 50 yards with a rimfire is great skill building -IF- you call your shots.

Forgive 10% flyers with the rimfire. one out of 10 are crap rounds with most rimfire amoe.

I would not sugest shooting much over 90 to 100 yards with the rimfire.

Last thing do you know how much wind you had when you shot at 200 yards AND! do you know how much the wind moves your bullets at 200?

a rimfire will teach you wind reading too.

Chris, another variable nobody mentioned, what twist is your barrel?, are you clearing the parallax out of the scope at every distance?, has the barrel been broken in YET?, have you tried other loads, just because xyz says this doesn't mean yours will.

Trapr

Good points bigbrowndog! I never have had any luck with bullets heavier than 69gr. in my ARs. I have 1x9 twist barrels. Parallax can screw you up to if you don't get a consistent mount on the gun as well. How much time in between shots? Your groups will walk if you heat the barrel up too much.

Good points bigbrowndog! I never have had any luck with bullets heavier than 69gr. in my ARs. I have 1x9 twist barrels. Parallax can screw you up to if you don't get a consistent mount on the gun as well. How much time in between shots? Your groups will walk if you heat the barrel up too much.

I have a varmint 1in8 on my gun and the groups look crapy under 100 yards with the 69 and up bullets = but the same load groups better at 250 than it does at 90.

My eyes can not shoot a good group past 4 to 5 shots with out an (eye break) If your eyes did not get tired you are not looking hard enough for a real good group.

And I use a target dot in my scope not a duplex. I use the 12 Oclock spot on the 1/8" dot to shoot a group. If you are useing a wide duplext the gun can move all over the place before you can see the aiming spot.

If your scope has a wide duplex retical try shooting the group with one corner of it = Like the upper right hand corner of the X , so that you have a very small focal point and not (left - right - top- bottom) to look at when you shoot. This gives you the (Aim Small= Miss small) avantage

Jamie

remember though = I don't know nothing I'm just a 22 shooter

Edited by AlamoShooter

ALAMO SHOOTER has some great points about using a 22 rimfire to get your skills up. I also find that working on my group shooting ability with my handgun improves my ability with my rifle.

When I started out working on my rifle skills I bought a air rifle/pellet gun, with a 3x scope. That way I could practice off the back deck at home. I would shoot at small targets at maybe 20 yards. The trigger on an air rifle is so horrible, that by tyring to master it your AR tigger skills will improve. The fun thing about this is while your out there grilling or having a beer after work you can just grab your air rifle by the door and shoot a few practice rounds. My sons are excellent rifle shoooters and I think it is from the many hours they spent in our suburban backyard shooting their red rider BB guns. I think I spent about $150 for my air rifle, and it was a Beeman

If you are ever over by Fairmont, WV bring your AR and we can go practice.