Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ENOS TV Repair Service?

I figured I would give this forum a shot since we have so many other skills here. I have a 5 year old Sony KV-34HS510, 34" Widescreen HighDef Television. Well I turned her off last night and went to bed. This morning she won't turn on. When I hit the power switch she clicks and you hear the "Boing" for lack of a better word, but nothing happens. The Red Standby light flashes like its going to come on but it never does. I watched the light and its flashing 6 times and then repeating. I unplugged the TV from all power for an hour and tried again with no difference. Think its fried????? No storms last night. We did lose power for a day last week after wind storm but it worked fine after that.

Very Sad..... :(

Angel

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:lCdOB...;cd=3&gl=us

I googled your tv model and "codes"...the above was one of many hits returned.

Your Google is Strong Flex. Looks like this is the problem but even in that thread there seems to be some disagreement on whether its the fix. Great find though. Thanks.

Angel

I had a similar model that gave the same flashing error code. Turned out to be an in-line fuse. Tech indicated it was a known problem. I believed him since he arrived with the replacement fuse assembly in his hand and no other parts.

I figured I would give this forum a shot since we have so many other skills here. I have a 5 year old Sony KV-34HS510, 34" Widescreen HighDef Television. Well I turned her off last night and went to bed. This morning she won't turn on. When I hit the power switch she clicks and you hear the "Boing" for lack of a better word, but nothing happens. The Red Standby light flashes like its going to come on but it never does. I watched the light and its flashing 6 times and then repeating. I unplugged the TV from all power for an hour and tried again with no difference. Think its fried????? No storms last night. We did lose power for a day last week after wind storm but it worked fine after that.

Very Sad..... :(

Angel

It's almost guaranteed to be a power supply problem, because that's what fails most often and with that type of symptom. The "flash and repeat" is because it's controller will try to start a few times but if there is an overload on the PS, it times out and then after the time interval it cycles again.

Sounds as if the flyback transfromer went out, 200 to 300 dollar repair.
Yep, the horizontal output (flyback) section of the power supply is what is used to generate high voltage and it fails more often than all the other circuits combined.

Well using the link Flex posted I've narrowed it down to 2 IC's on the board where the flyback transformer resides. I thought this one was gonna cost me big but it turns out I still have a few months left on the extended warranty i bought. Even better is the fact that they will come to the house to fix since its larger than 25 inches. Of course the more I think about it the more I wish they couldn't fix it. I pretty much have the wife convinced we need a new one. I'm thinking 42" this time :devil:

Angel

Not to hijack but Flex's reminder to Google helped me a lot. My Mitsu big screen went caput Friday night and Googling helped me find the answer. So, I'm looking at $5 worth of capacitors if I can do the job myself or $1200 for a new module (or a new TV).....

Of course the more I think about it the more I wish they couldn't fix it. I pretty much have the wife convinced we need a new one. I'm thinking 42" this time :devil:

Angel

I googled "what your wife knows about TV electronics". It turns out...she knows what you tell her. (well...unless she is good with google too) :):)

(My girlfriend would be all over a new TV purchase...seems like I read where women were driving a lot of the cool new TV purchases...?)