Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&B .308 Ammo, corrosive?

mpeltier

I started using a new 308 AR last season for Heavy Metal 3-gun. The only ammo to go thru it to date is about 300 rds of S&B commercial ammo marked non-corrosive on the box. Bought new also late last year (packed in the current green and yellow boxes). I went to clean it the other day and was horrified when I looked thru the barrel at the complete coating of rust in the bore. It looked like a chia-pet had moved in to my rifles barrel. The inside of the BC comp also was very badly rusted. The bolt assembly is spotless, but the roll pin in the front sight base is clearly rusted a bit. I immediately set about scrubing and cleaning and the bore luckily is not pitted or visibly damaged, in fact it is very shiney again with good deep rifling. I have other AR's that have CM barrels and have never had any exhibit any type of rusting such as this. Could this non-corrosive ammo actually be corrosive?????? If so is there anything else neccessary to remove the corrosive compounds from the barrel????

I've heard of ammo using non-corrsive powder, but still having a corrosive primer.

If, your barrel is not tooooo damaged, you can use JB bore compound to shine it back up. As for what to do for cleaning a barrel after using corrosive ammo, I've heard that you can use everything from hot boiling water with soap to Kroil. I guess, why not clean it like you normally would?? With your favorite rod, patch and cleaning compound till the patches come out clean??

Tim

Yeah, I clean my barrels......once in a while.

I have used a fair amount of S&B it uses a non corrosive priming compound. I prefer Federal but I can't always get what I want.

But with all centrefire ammo you should at the very least oil the inside of the firearm as soon as possible. It is the reaction of the remaining nitro and carbon residues that will cause the rust especially in the prescence of moisture.

I will spray Break Free into my AR's and M1A's immediately after shooting, if I do not have time to thoroughly clean the rifle the oil will prevent rust. If I need to shoot before a full clean all I have to do is run a patch through the bore and let rip.

• 2 weeks later...

S&B does not make any corrosive ammo that I am aware of. I've used plenty of thier .308 stuff in my FAL's with no problems (other than the cost!).

If you do use corrosive ammo (I use it all the time in some of my C&R guns), swab the barrel with either 1) Windex, or 2) a 60/40 solution of water and ammonia. Both contain ammonia, which will neutralize the corrosive compounds. Just swab good with a patch or 2 soaked in the ammonia solution/windex (wipe your bolt, chamber, etc. also) and let it sit for a few minutes, then clean and oil as usual. If you do this every time, you can use corrosive ammo all you want with no ill effects. Most cleaners will remove the vast majority of the corrosive materials, but only ammonia will totally neutralize them.

:cheers: