Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinion sought on Glock recoil springs

plinker625

When I was shooting 1911's I was pretty religious about changing out recoil springs every 3K. So, I have continued the practice with the G17. Is this a wise practice? Not shooting major loads just plinkers. Which is better IMSI or Wolff? I have been using a non captured recoil guide, any thoughts on captured vs non-capatured?

Edited by plinker625

IMSI last 10x longer than Wolff. I change my IMSI springs about every 10-15k rounds. I've had Wolff springs fail before 2000 rounds. I used to run a 14 pound Wolff. When it went bad the slide would not fully return to battery. I'm currently on a 13# IMSI that I put in my gun before Nationals in September. I'm easily past 12k rounds on it with no sign of weakness. ISMI springs also feel heavier than Wolff equivalents to me. I use ISMI anytime I can for any gun.

IMSI last 10x longer than Wolff. I change my IMSI springs about every 10-15k rounds. I've had Wolff springs fail before 2000 rounds. I used to run a 14 pound Wolff. When it went bad the slide would not fully return to battery. I'm currently on a 13# IMSI that I put in my gun before Nationals in September. I'm easily past 12k rounds on it with no sign of weakness. ISMI springs also feel heavier than Wolff equivalents to me. I use ISMI anytime I can for any gun.

+1 on ISMI... They are great and have the best springs IMO B)

+1 on ISMI... They are great and have the best springs IMO B)

+2 The ISMI springs will be heavier in the same spring weight vs Wolff springs. Also, I would recommend the captured guide rod from ISMI. No need to worry about the guide rod flinging off when you disassemble the pistol. If you go that route, be sure and blue loctite the screw on the end of the guide rod. If you don' t the screw will fling off during recoil and you will be back to a non captured guide rod.....haha.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had a problem with Wolff springs. I use a 15# spring for USPSA and a 12# for steel in my G17. Last year I put 5k rounds through one 12# spring during one week of Steel Challenge practice. I was too lazy to change it and it was running fine. Since springs are relatively cheap, I carry several springs in my bag at all times. Once a spring hiccups, to gets sent to the "practice" pile. No sense in having a $4 spring ruin a $200 entry fee.

Good luck!

Seiichi

The stock Glock recoil spring for the G17 works fine. The recommended change I believe is 5k.

Depending on the loads you are shooting, how fine tuned your gun is, whether you trim coils etc. You could be + or - the 5K. The stock recoil spring assembly for a G17 is so cheap that I keep several in my bag. I am currently using one that I trimmed 5 coils off of to run with some light match loads.

What I did in the past was break in a couple of springs with maybe 1k each. That way if I ever "needed" to go to the bag for a replacement, I new that I was putting in a spring that was already tested and broken in.