Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

camcorder recommendations

I am looking for a moderatly sized camcorder to film my dryfire practice, vacations and such. I am prefering something with either hard drive or flash drives. I really am not a fan of the dv or dvds as they are not as easy to clean up. May want something to get first person perspective on shooting.

I was just doing some online shopping yesterday. Watching Rocket's videos really has me hankering for a Samsung SC-X210L or 300L, but ~$350 for the 300L and not having decent resolution is making me consider other options.

How much are you looking to spend?

I was just doing some online shopping yesterday. Watching Rocket's videos really has me hankering for a Samsung SC-X210L or 300L, but ~$350 for the 300L and not having decent resolution is making me consider other options.

How much are you looking to spend?

I want to stay at 500 or less.

I have a panasonic sdr s-150 , works well and east to use. Nice thing is when you download into your computer it's alredy in thumbnails.

I think they have a sdr s-10 for about that price. You can get 8g sdhc cards for $60.

What kind of resolution are you looking for? This one is getting 720x480 in movie mode. They look good when playing on my wide screen tv. They loose some quality when uploading to the internet.

Edited by Rocket35

Before my wife and I went on vacation last Summer we bought a JVC Everio GZ-MG-130 with a 30gb hard drive (also accepts SD cards) for about $500 at Sam's Club and while due to it's size it's somewhat more of the point and shoot variety, I've been very impressed with it. At the highest resolution you can still put 7hrs on it. At the lowest you're getting 37hrs...nice on vacation to not have to worry about running out. We brought out laptop with us so we could download stuff, but never needed to. Each night we'd plug it into the TV in the hotel and review what we'd taped...quick and easy. I've been using it to video practice, matches and some stuff with just me and I'm really happy with how it's worked. Heck, the kit even has a tripod...not the greatest, but it's okay. ONe of the guys in the office was looking at camcorders so I brought mine in for him to check out and he bought one that weekend. Next match I may set it up downrange a bit (off to the side) and video some runs using the remote control....oughta be cool. R,

Sorry Jay - I should have done more research - thought MiniDV and the std cameras were getting MUCH better resolution than the SC, but I guess they really don't...

Yeah Unless you are going HD I don't think you will find a super higher resolution.

I got the Sony DCR -SR40 40 gig hard drive and not high priced. works for most things... BUT when I wanted to break my draw down I could not get enoght frames per second to view it. I wished I had spent more $$$ to get something better. Seams like I was in the $350 range on that one

Vewing on the computer or the TV it looked sharp and the photos did great as stills too.

see what Dave Re's likes his video turns out real nice =

With the hard drive I taped every stage at Area 2 for up to four shooters and had space left over on the hard drive.

Edited by AlamoShooter

I think you will be hard pressed to find a better unit than the Samsung SC. It uses an internal digital memory along with SD cards (which are cheap) and with all the features of external lense, MP3, voice recorder and digital camera- it is a nice package for the money. The files are Mpeg4 DVD quality. I am sure Dave Re is using something pretty spendy, them photog guys buy some pretty high end stuff!

I think you will be hard pressed to find a better unit than the Samsung SC. It uses an internal digital memory along with SD cards (which are cheap) and with all the features of external lense, MP3, voice recorder and digital camera- it is a nice package for the money. The files are Mpeg4 DVD quality. I am sure Dave Re is using something pretty spendy, them photog guys buy some pretty high end stuff!

Yeah I bet you are right. I am just not sure if I will use the additional lens or not. Jay does it have a thread hole for a tripod?

Yup- same as the main unit, it come with adapters and such- but I just used and appropriate sizes bolt to mount it to the hat.

Frankenstein (Bolt to the hat) LOL

The 300L is really a good deal right now at Circuit City. $349

Edited by JThompson