Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbler issue?

Jay6

The tumbler that I bought not even a year ago shit the bed last night. Now it was a Franklin Arsenal (kinda cheap) and it had only done maybe 3-4K cases since I got it. It does stay outside in the garage all year though. Was this just the case of buying a cheap peice of crap or should I move it inside?

Also, what would be a good replacement for it? I want something that is going to WORK for a long time.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tumbler that I bought not even a year ago shit the bed last night. Now it was a Franklin Arsenal (kinda cheap) and it had only done maybe 3-4K cases since I got it. It does stay outside in the garage all year though. Was this just the case of buying a cheap peice of crap or should I move it inside?

Also, what would be a good replacement for it? I want something that is going to WORK for a long time.

Crap, I just ordered one of those :( (along with a Brand-spankin'-new Frankfort Arsenal VIBRA-PRIME, just throwing that out there, Merlin, ZHunter... :P)

Most guys here are raving (as far as that happens over a tumbler) about the Big Dillon CV-2001.

Edited by spook

I would be happy to support Dillon when my current one dies but it seems to be going strong. It is a Lyman 1200 twin. I have had it about 7 years and it does get a fair share of work and I am reloading for a couple of people.

Adam

Crap, I just ordered one of those :( (along with a Brand-spankin'-new Frankfort Arsenal VIBRA-PRIME, just throwing that out there, Merlin, ZHunter... :P)

Most guys here are raving (as far as that happens over a tumbler) about the Big Dillon CV-2001.

Yeah I thought it was a good deal when I first got it but not if I have to replace the thing every 4000 rounds :blink:

I am fairly new to reloading and I did not know if this was common or not?

Yeah I thought it was a good deal when I first got it but not if I have to replace the thing every 4000 rounds :blink:

I read up on the Frankfort Arsenal Tumblers and it seems like they're hit or miss in quality.

Did you contact the store where you bought it?

I had a lyman that lasted 16 years = for the last 6 years I would have to "Drop" it on the floor from about a foot up try 4" to 6" to get it to start up. The motor would bind up and the Jump start would get it going.

About two years ago I got the Big Dillon and a the smaller one used. both are great I really like the big one = I figured I would just try both out and sell the one i did not like as much.

JF

Try giving yours a good kick = I bet you can get some more life out of it.

Edited by AlamoShooter

I had a lyman that lasted 16 years = for the last 6 years I would have to "Drop" it on the floor from about a foot up to get it to start up. The motor would bind up and the Jump start would get it going.

About two years ago I got the Big Dillon and a the smaller one used. both are great I really like the big one = I figured I would just try both out and sell the one i did not like as much.

JF

If we're gonna get technical advice we need details.........exactly 12 inches from the floor? Boots or sneakers for the kick? :surprise:

I had a lyman that lasted 16 years = for the last 6 years I would have to "Drop" it on the floor from about a foot up to get it to start up. The motor would bind up and the Jump start would get it going.

JF

If we're gonna get technical advice we need details.........exactly 12 inches from the floor? Boots or sneakers for the kick? :surprise:

Well I not kiding sometimes just 4" would work on a hard contrete floor. 12" ? no I think it was 9" at the most.

The shoes and the kick can be just a bump. if you kick it too hard the it will fly = just a good bump that may move it on the floor 6" or less. Once it starts to turn like a near dead battery leave it alone untill it starts up.

I read up on the Frankfort Arsenal Tumblers and it seems like they're hit or miss in quality.

I got it from Midway USA so I might just give Mr. Potterfield a call and see what he can do for me.

I had a lyman that lasted 16 years = for the last 6 years I would have to "Drop" it on the floor from about a foot up try 4" to 6" to get it to start up. The motor would bind up and the Jump start would get it going.

JF

I will also try this when I get home. Maybe even break out the highly technical tools (BFH) :goof:

I got it from Midway USA so I might just give Mr. Potterfield a call and see what he can do for me.

Kick It ! really! = You will end up sending me a Valentines card

So My bet is when you plug the thing in with "too much brass in it" ,.. any way when you plug it in it just - mones and buzzes a bit and most likely make a one or two turns to go "bump ....bump .rrrrrr bump....rrrrrrr......bump ....rrrrrrrreeeerrr. ? Kind of like that?

Edited by AlamoShooter

Kick It ! really! = You will end up sending me a Valentines card

So My bet is when you plug the thing in with "too much brass in it" ,.. any way when you plug it in it just - mones and buzzes a bit and most likely make a one or two turns to go "bump ....bump .rrrrrr bump....rrrrrrr......bump ....rrrrrrrreeeerrr. ? Kind of like that?

It ran fine for a while, I was not out in the garage when it actually died but I will try that when I get home. The good news is I guess Midway has been having some trouble with that and they gave me a credit torward a new one. Great company!

Has anyone thought about trying on of the rock hobbiest rotory tumblers for brass? I would think that a tumbler which rotated rather than vibrated might stand up to the long term abuse better.

But my Dillon is still running strong so I have no immediate complaints.

The tumbler that I bought not even a year ago shit the bed last night.

Did it just stop working at all? Start running slow?

I have Midway that is about 10 years old. It used to get real dusty and the bearings would dry out and it would slow down. I would loosen up the motor and lube it and it was as good as new. I now run it out on the back porch where it can't get saturated with dust.

Then it stopped completely. I found that the wire to the motor had broken off from the vibration. With some solder and electrical tape, I got it reconnected and it has not had any problems in the last 4 years.

These things are just a plastic bucket on springs with a motor and a weight. Dig into them, diagnose the issue and fix it.

Gringop

I have this tumbler.. the first one died in short order (motor seized), Midway gave me a replacemnet (free). The relpacement has been going strong for 4+ years.. it stays outside in a cheap garden shed when I'm not using it.. no issues with it.

Has anyone thought about trying on of the rock hobbiest rotory tumblers for brass? I would think that a tumbler which rotated rather than vibrated might stand up to the long term abuse better.

But my Dillon is still running strong so I have no immediate complaints.

Rotary tumblers are just hell on brass. They peen the case mouths over so that the bullet gets shaved on it's way in.

IMO, the big Dillon is the only choice if you're going to be reloading in volume. Nothing else holds up as well over the long haul.

My FA tumbler crapped out on me 2 weeks after the warranty expired. I bought it from Midway so I called them up and they replaced it for me. When this one craps out, I'll be looking for another brand. Thumbs up for Midway, a different finger for Frankford Arsenal.

Give them a call for sure. I have thought about getting one but until my Lymann dies I am not getting another tumbler. For the record I have no idea how many hundreds of thousands of rounds I have cleaned in it but I used it to clean .45 brass I sold in the past as well as all I shot. Heck it has been running since Friday night *currently Wed* and have cleaned seven or eight loads of .38 Super brass. I got it in 1998 USED. lol

Joe W.

My little Dillon gave up the ghost last summer- they charged me for the motor replacement and took about a month to get it back. If you want a tumbler that can handle the high volume of practical shooting and want to stave off replacements every couple of years- looks like the Dillon CV-2001 is the only way to go. It is pricey- but factor in the costs of replacing the smaller economical models every 1-3 years! <_<

I have a Lyman that I got on sale about 15yrs ago and it is still going strong. Its not real big, but you can get 6-700 9mm in it. The only thing I have changed is my media that I buy from Petco and put in my own polishing compound.

Got an old Midway 1292 tumbler out in the garage (NEVER in the house...lots of lead dust in that thing fm my bullets)...Had it about 15 yrs and it's going strong...What I'd really like to know though is where SPOOK got a brand spankin' new FA Vibra-Prime?...I'd like to find another one but they've been gone for quite awhile. Musta been a private deal...I keep waiting for some enterprising co. to offer one...unless Dillon bought them up fm Midway...

Strange, I have 2 FA tumblers one with the old bowl design and one with the new bowl with a clear lid. The older one has been running strong and often for 4 or 5 years. I also moly coat in a separate bowl in it. They have run well for me and I can buy 5 of them for the cost of the big Dillon.