Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Large Frame 9mm Mags Reliability

gunex

Hello there! I have an Elite Stock 9mm that only shoots reliably with 10 rounds. Loading the mags to 18 is a major effort. It requires tapping the bullets down to load. Once it's loaded, chambering with the first round is very hard. The bullet nose dives. Is there anybody out there have a trick in making the 9mm mags reliable? I'd appreciate any the input to solve this problem. I bought this gun to shoot production international. Looks like I'm only shooting it here in the US because it only shoots 10-rounds reliably.

Thanks!

Hello there! I have an Elite Stock 9mm that only shoots reliably with 10 rounds. Loading the mags to 18 is a major effort. It requires tapping the bullets down to load. Once it's loaded, chambering with the first round is very hard. The bullet nose dives. Is there anybody out there have a trick in making the 9mm mags reliable? I'd appreciate any the input to solve this problem. I bought this gun to shoot production international. Looks like I'm only shooting it here in the US because it only shoots 10-rounds reliably.

Thanks!

Make it a 38 super or a 40.

so I got some new mags today, to replace all my broken chrome 10 rounders. I have to pin them internally before I assemble them and test them out (love Canadian law). but I am wondering what the capacity of them is supposed to be? this is for a Stock II in 9mm. Is it 17 or 18 rounds? My springs have that bend on the top coil.

If your gun was a .38 super, your rounds would stack alot better, this is common for 9mm's. The bullet end of the round tends to tip down moreso as the mag is loaded to full capacity. Henning's mag kits might help, back when we had "standard capacity" magazines in Canada I used a cut follower- which looks alot like the ones Henning has, and Wolff magsprings with a CPMi pad and could get 19 rnds, but for reliability, they worked better when loaded to 18. Oh, what OAL is your ammunition? In my experience, getting that just right in a Tanfoglio is a big deal. A little too long, and you will get rounds binding up in the magazine as well.

Gunex,

I had the same problem after getting new spring kits from Henning and after erading alot on here saw that so was everyone else. After a bit of playing with the mag spring it ended up with a bend in the top loop similiar to the stock spring. Takes a bit of trial and error and you definately have to get a bit of a set to the new springs. I ordered 4 sets and just worked with one until I got it to work reliably then set up the others the same. Keep trying and have patience.

Alex G

Gunex,

I had the same problem after getting new spring kits from Henning and after erading alot on here saw that so was everyone else. After a bit of playing with the mag spring it ended up with a bend in the top loop similiar to the stock spring. Takes a bit of trial and error and you definately have to get a bit of a set to the new springs. I ordered 4 sets and just worked with one until I got it to work reliably then set up the others the same. Keep trying and have patience.

Alex G

Alex,

Thanks for the input. Looks like the factory follower and springs are trash. I will try Beven's. I might see him this Sat at Norco.

thanks again.