Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody lighten their factory original slide?

Krieghoff

Okay I am sending my Edge off for some work. I am still debating the whole slide lightening issue. It seems like all of the pictures I see are of guns with what was a blank slide. Does anyone have pictures of lightening that was done to the factory original slide with the front and rear cocking serrations, the STI logo an "EDGE"?

Thanks

Factory slide lightened by Gary at Gans Guns. Theres a few more pics in the Ionbond thread here... http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...46597&st=75 , post number 83.

The Cool factor is there, just wondering if you felt any differance in how it shot?

Yeah, I like the way that looks and have thought about getting the slide on my Edge lightened and then send it off for Ion Bond, but I'm wondering how much difference I'd feel. The gun runs 100% now so I'm not sold on messing with it. R,

The Cool factor is there, just wondering if you felt any differance in how it shot?
Yeah, I like the way that looks and have thought about getting the slide on my Edge lightened and then send it off for Ion Bond, but I'm wondering how much difference I'd feel. The gun runs 100% now so I'm not sold on messing with it. R,

Definately feels different, however hard to say if it was just the slide lightenign itself. At the same time I got my slide back, I went from the Heavy Recoil Master to the lightened slide, STI Steel Guide Rod and 12.5 ISMI spring...it immeidately felt "snappier" and "quicker" and my splits improved...was it the lightened slide, the change from the RM to the guide rod and lighter spring, or a combination? Dont know since I didnt try the guide rod and spring before I got the slide lightened.

The gun was 100% before with factory ammo, once I went to the guide rod and lighter spring, it preferes long ammo.

Thats really the best answer I can give...I like the look, and it shoots like I like, best I can offer is to find someone close and shoot theirs and yours and compare...I"m in NC, so if you swing by, you're more than welcome to give mine a go!

Edited by CDRODA396

With the recent interest in long-slides, has anyone made their own version of a Triangle Shooting Sports Fat-Free by lightening the slide on a 6" Eagle with bushing barrel?

I know it's not the same as a hand-built custom, but wondered if that gets one in the ball-park.

For comparison puposes and because I like building them. I'm doing a STI tactical frame with bushing barrel in 5 and 6. The 5 is already done, waiting for 6 slide to come in from Dawson. Going to cut enough metal off the 6 so that it weighs the same as the 5. Same sights, Nowlin bushing barrel. I'll post when I'm done.

I'm curious to see the difference in handling and sight radius makes. For my two uses, IPSC and plate shooting.

FWIW, I just sold a Benny Hill 6" Fat Free Limited gun. That gun was amazingly light in the front end. Pointing and transitioning was much quicker due to the lightness at the front end. Keep in mind that the BH gun also had a bushing barrel not a bull barrel. The gun was a little snappier in recoil but not in any way harsh. That you can control with the recoil spring, main spring and the profile on the firing pin stop. That gun was just plain fun to handle. Old eyes pushed me into Open.

CYa,

Pat

Here's what I did to my Factory Edge last month. Did it just to make the guns look different rather then to make them lighter, don't even know how much weight was removed

IMG_0825.jpg

Any pictures from the side? Is it just tri-topped or is there something more?

Any pictures from the side? Is it just tri-topped or is there something more?

different spin on a tri-top I guess, in stead of flats I used a 3/4" ball nose cutter to put in radius cuts. The inspiration came from some Millennium Custom Guns I saw at last years Limited Nats.

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

It's 2 tone at the moment becuase I haven't gotten around to re-finishing yet.

i had the slide lightened on my L10 gun, it's an old colt. the smith tri-topped the slide, serrated the center flat drilled and counter sunk ports on both sides and took some weight out of the inner slide back around the extractor area and the same on the other side of the slide. i have to agree on the "cool" factor. it really made the gun look good. i also use a tungston rod. it feels flatter, less felt recoil. makes sense though, less reciprecating mass and more stationary mass should keep the barrel down. it wasn't night and day but it certainly was a noticable difference.