Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm "Big Sticks" Now Available

phant0m_jester

Just got the new 2008 EAA catalog and noticed that they had some 9mm 25-round 170mm mags. I just ordered one of them to try them out - once I get my Match back from Rich at Canyon Creek I will give them a good test and post a review here. Fingers crossed :-)

FYI - they aren't posted on the site, but the SKU is 101921. I will post some pics as soon as I get them.

-Rob

Just got the new 2008 EAA catalog and noticed that they had some 9mm 25-round 170mm mags. I just ordered one of them to try them out - once I get my Match back from Rich at Canyon Creek I will give them a good test and post a review here. Fingers crossed :-)

FYI - they aren't posted on the site, but the SKU is 101921. I will post some pics as soon as I get them.

-Rob

Yeah let us know because I was never able to get high cap 9mm to work in the large frame reliably.

henning can probably get them too.

Leo

Yea - I heard no one was really able to make them work....but from what I can tell from the catalog pics - these look a bit different from the standard large frame mag design. They look totally different than the 38 Super 25-round "big sticks".

Henning can most definately get them, but even at the dealer price that aren't much cheaper. I buy basically all of my EAA stuff from Henning, I just wanted to get these asap so I can do some testing as soon as my Match gets back from Canyon Creek....

EAA said I should have them in 2-3 days via USPS...

Stay tuned :-)

-Rob

Cool, I think I was getting 23rds in a 9mm mag with grams internals and the H141 base pad. I mean unless you're shooting Open w/ your 9mm, you could add a H141 onto the big stick, and the grams internals and probably get 30rds (of course it'd be too long to be "legal"). Post pics when you get 'em.

~Mitch

The large frame 9mm mags are the old 38 super mag style. Let me know if they have the spacers or not. If it doesn't you might be better off re-chambering the gun to 9x23 or load long. 9mms in the large frame is ... difficult. Some seem to get them to work. I never shoot 9mm, only 38 super (even for steel loads) and 40 S&W. So no personal experience, only what people report back to me.

I talked to Tanfoglio & EAA at the shot show and asked both parties to start bringing in the 9mm in small frame. Those things rock and work great. And... that's what the rest of the world is using ... 9mm = small frame. But... US = EAA large frame 9mm. Logic? Nope.

bad news...

EAA called me around 3pm yesterday afternoon and said that they made a mistake in the 2008 catalog and that SKU is only for SMALL FRAME big stick 9mm mags....even though the catalog clearly states "large frame only", it was a misprint and they were glad they caught it early on...they canceled the shipment and refunded my money....

Looks like the search for some reliable big sticks in 9mm is still on....

Don't get me wrong Henning - I like 38 Super rimless, but with the cost of ammo - my wife would just kill me. Especially when I just shoot local matches with no power factor requirements....

bad news...

EAA called me around 3pm yesterday afternoon and said that they made a mistake in the 2008 catalog and that SKU is only for SMALL FRAME big stick 9mm mags....even though the catalog clearly states "large frame only", it was a misprint and they were glad they caught it early on...they canceled the shipment and refunded my money....

Looks like the search for some reliable big sticks in 9mm is still on....

Don't get me wrong Henning - I like 38 Super rimless, but with the cost of ammo - my wife would just kill me. Especially when I just shoot local matches with no power factor requirements....

Sooooooo... They don't chrony at your local matches? I guess that makes it easier to cheat.

Sorry, just kidding!

I really wanted a 9major gold team. Henning told me not to, but I didn't listen. After being unable to find a 9mm one for 6 mos, I finally bought one in 38 super, despite my desire for 9mm.

Let me tell you, I get 23rnds in the 140mm mags and 29 in the big stick, and they all run perfectly. Loading them is easy! Those rimless 38 sit nice and even and level. It was good advice to get the 38super rimless. I wasted 6 mos, and could have been shooting instead!!

Edited by Jeff686

I really like the 38 Super rimless (Henning also pointed me in this direction), only problem is that I don't reload. That really makes my only choice Atlanta Arms by the case (which isn't cheap). My mission (see my other thread) has been to create a 9mm steel gun that I can shoot locally (no power factor) with the many various types of 9mm ammo out there like Winchester White Box or CCI Blazer....

I think I might try some of Henning's H-141 pads and just play around until I get then feeding reliably...

I can't help to wonder though....how would a 38 Super, factory big stick work with a 9mm factory follower? Henning? Any thoughts?

-Rob

• 9 months later...
I really wanted a 9major gold team. Henning told me not to, but I didn't listen. After being unable to find a 9mm one for 6 mos, I finally bought one in 38 super, despite my desire for 9mm.

Let me tell you, I get 23rnds in the 140mm mags and 29 in the big stick, and they all run perfectly. Loading them is easy! Those rimless 38 sit nice and even and level. It was good advice to get the 38super rimless. I wasted 6 mos, and could have been shooting instead!!

I think that many of us would love to be doing that. I'd rather be loading more powder into a .38 super-sized case. I also wish that money was no object, but with the cost of reloading supplies now, I like my $30 per 1000 once-fired 9mm brass much better than the average cost of any super brass. I would like 23 rds & 29rds over 22rds & 27rds though...in Open-class sometimes every round counts.

I have a 9mm gold team. it has a few hiccups and just loading it with about ten rounds for steel. I can only load major to it, since it wont cycle with minor or +p+. I am still hoping that the mag problem will be resolved. Henning might be right about making your loads longer for better fitting.