Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any reason not to host special classifier matches?

Tim Egan

Subject says it all, I notice some clubs make it a point to host one or two six stage classifiers,

and others don't at all. I am curious to hear reasons not to. They seem like a good idea

to help folks get classified quicker, or move up a class. But, there are certainly some

valid reasons not to as well. Comments?

Subject says it all, I notice some clubs make it a point to host one or two six stage classifiers,

and others don't at all. I am curious to hear reasons not to. They seem like a good idea

to help folks get classified quicker, or move up a class. But, there are certainly some

valid reasons not to as well. Comments?

From the clubs point of view, they certainly are an easy setup / tear down.

from a shooters point of view ( one that does not need a new classifaction ) the matches are not nessesarily fun.

When my club puts one on, we try to make sure everyone knows it is a classifier match because if you drive a long distance and dont know...well you may have choosen to do something else.

$ -cost-$$$

We try to put on a few every year to get folks classified quicker.

However, there is a real $ cost $ to doing this. The usual fees collected to support the club end up going to USPSA. (Not a complaint, just a statement)

Small clubs who are used to spending around $50 a month in USPSA dues get hit with a $200 + fee... it can make some club exec's :blink: .

Most of my shooters don't seem to enjoy shooting stand and shoot type standard exercises. They whine enough about having to shoot one per match ;) While there are a few field course type classifiers (Lefty's Revenge, After Work Blues, and Easy Street come to mind) It is difficult to produce a match with that many classifiers in it without losing the interest of most of my shooters.

Having said that if there are a large number of new people or enough people wanting to try to move up or get cards in other divisions, I'll usually try to run one.

Pretty much just the conflict between the block of shooters who don't need classifiers and the block that wants or needs them, coupled with only so many temperate Sundays to hold a match. If we held a classifier match in January or February, no one would show......

As far as $ to USPSA go, in the Mid-Atlantic section we charge a higher match fee than usual to cover the extra cost for sending in multiple classifiers, so the impact on the club is minimal....

We held a special 4 classifier match a couple of weeks ago & it does cost the club more money with the uspsa fees. The previous match had 30 competitors, uspsa fees were $90. For 15 shooters, with 6 adding a second catagory(total 21 shooters) the uspsa fees were $126! In other words, each shooter cost the club twice as much money. I guess we did save on targets, though. hahaha.

It achieved the goal which was to get some folks classed & also got at least one moved up. We also added two big stages to make it sort of worthwhile to shoot. Standing & shooting isn't as fun as run & gun or whatever. I certainly wouldn't want to shoot that way every month. One classifier per match is plenty under normal conditions.

MLM

We have had several in the past year and our sister club has had one or two also... For the best reason in the world. NEW SHOOTERS! Some coming over from IDPA to play and some just as new guys brought in by our other club members. IMO if you have a few (several) new shooters it is a great idea to strike while the iron is hot and get them classified. I can remember how badly I wanted to see my first classification and how hard it was to wait on it...... Not wanting to put on a classifier for the $$ part (if you have new shooters) might be a little short sighted. New blood helps. If the old cadre bitches about "having" to shoot a few classifiers...all I can do is shake my head.

My .02 :)