Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Viking Tactics V-Tac Sling

EricW

I took the weekend off to decompress and did a little coyote hunting on skis. Didn't see anything, but had a great opportunity to give my new V-Tac sling a workout. (I finally dumped my Turner sling and joined the 21st century.)

I know this is old news to most, but the V-Tac really works. Head and shoulders above other sling systems. It works great with the rifle slung across your chest (the only option with a large pack) or across the back. I'm using the buttstock adapter on a Rock River 20" A2 setup with a JP handguard, but the best method is with the sling plate that goes between the stock and the lower receiver. Otherwise, the barrel sits too low with the rifle slung across your chest.

I was a bit skeptical about it at first, but now that I have it, I'm totally impressed. You'd be hard pressed to put all the pieces together for what you can buy the unit for off-the-shelf. It's really a great value. I thought that I was going to have to resort to more extreme measures and build my own biathlon-style sling, but the V-Tac really does the job quite nicely.

If you're going to be shouldering a rifle for any length of time, get the padded version. You can thank me later. ;)

See it here:

http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_sling_VTAC-MK1-a.html

vtac_sling4.jpg

(I bought mine from them forward thinkin' Brownell boys)

Edited by EricW

I've been using a VTac sling on my duty rifle for a few years now. I love it. I like that I can adjust it and my M4 won't flop around when I'm running or walking. It also prevents the rifle from interfering with my pistol draw. Plus the inventor, Kyle, is an honest-to-God operator and he knows his sh$t.

Matt,

I was skiing, but I didn't have any knee bash issues. I *was* having pole/muzzle conflicts with the rifle across my chest. The muzzle is still pretty low. Too low for my taste. That's why I'm going to go with the sling point between the stock and the receiver. That ought to crank up the rifle about 5 or 6".

The one part about the whole deal that left me a tad cold was the JP hand guard. The factory sling points move around. And sure I could just drill and tap, but if I do it all over again, I'll just go with a railed hand guard with a QD sling point. Not a big deal, but a bit of an annoyance.

Rich,

Who gets those great tactical goodies like the V-Tac for our troops? I'm sorry for the drift, but I was wondering if that isn't a good cause to get people together on. Better than issue gear for our guys out in the boonies. Or does anyone know of something like that already?

BTW, I have that sling on my SOCOM and I like it quite well. It has a great range of adjustment and seems to be of high quality.

JZ

The one part about the whole deal that left me a tad cold was the JP hand guard. The factory sling points move around. And sure I could just drill and tap, but if I do it all over again, I'll just go with a railed hand guard with a QD sling point. Not a big deal, but a bit of an annoyance.

Eric -

I'm running about the same setup as you, except I've got a Magpul M93 on the back end with the QD mounts. I don't have my rifle with me right now to look at, but my sling mounts on the JP handguard don't budge at all. I think I've got the little eyebolt guy really cranked down with the snot pinched out of the o-ring. Not sure if that helps in any way or not.

Austin

My first V-Tac sling, I ordered directly from Viking. Placed the order online, and the order accepted and there was no method of payment?!? When I called, I talked to someone (Kyle's wife?) who said no problem, they ship the sling and an invoice and I can send a check when I get the invoice.

For "non-sling" matches, I take the sling off but leave the butt-stock adaptor installed to keep the same cheek weld.

Much later, I ordered a 2nd one for the "sling" matches for the shotgun as well. So I am a satisfied customer and recommend them whenever someone asks what sling to get.

Lee

Rich,

Who gets those great tactical goodies like the V-Tac for our troops? I'm sorry for the drift, but I was wondering if that isn't a good cause to get people together on. Better than issue gear for our guys out in the boonies. Or does anyone know of something like that already?

BTW, I have that sling on my SOCOM and I like it quite well. It has a great range of adjustment and seems to be of high quality.

JZ

JZ,

Most folks just buy their own. The issue sling is basic to say the least but works (when modified a smidge). I'm sure it's available through the supply chain, but rarely ordered.

Rich