Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Guns

Jim Norman

I have found me a new toy. Rather that should read an old toy. I just got my hands on an 'OLD' J. Stevens Arms and Machine Co. "Visible Loader". This a .22 caliber , pump action rifle. This little gem was sitting in the rack at a local shop. got it for a fair price. Took it home and applied a lot of TLC, fully disassembled and cleaned it, then of to range. Rand about 300 rounds of cheap .22 (Federal Bulkpack) Gun works and is actually accurate. I had thought that maybe the barrel had been trashed by 100 years or so of abuse.

I had a BALL

Now, the problem, I want more of these little gems. There are so many variations made by so many different manufacturers. But hey, they are cheaper than a new open blaster.

Jim

I've got a few old .22s including my dad's Mossberg 42MC bolt action which is still a tack driver and an old Browning .22 semi-auto that's really sweet to shoot.

I try to keep my eyes open for garage sales and small shops while I'm on the road (salesman!). My favorite was a place in rural western New York - the Stafford Country Store. On the owner's business card was printed: "Pizza and Subs; Guns and Ammo".

I'm looking for a Marlin 39 from behind some farmer's back door . . .

I've got a few old .22s including my dad's Mossberg 42MC bolt action which is still a tack driver and an old Browning .22 semi-auto that's really sweet to shoot.

I try to keep my eyes open for garage sales and small shops while I'm on the road (salesman!). My favorite was a place in rural western New York - the Stafford Country Store. On the owner's business card was printed: "Pizza and Subs; Guns and Ammo".

I'm looking for a Marlin 39 from behind some farmer's back door . . .

Goodluck on that. I have a 39A that is about 45 or so years old, not really sure, but I know I was shooting it 45 years ago and I don't remember how much longer Dad had it. That one goes to either my daughter or my brother. A real nice gun.

One other I have is a Stevens Marksman, .22 single shot tip-up. Pop bought it about 50 years ago, the barrel was so bad you could drop a .22 in it and it would just about fall through (It was not a .25) He got a new H&R barrel and turned it to fit. A few others, but these are some of my favorites.

Jim