Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need softest shooting

Bob McGee

Berry's 185 HBRN bullet

5.4 grains Hodgdon HP-38

WLP primer

1.255 OAL

I shoot it out of my Open pin gun from time to time for plates and laughs. I haven't run it over a chrono but I would question it making MINOR. When shooting it out of my comped .45 I have to run a 7 pound spring just to get it to cycle. VERY soft shooting although not the most accurate load out there but it will get someone used to shooting a larger gun without the issues of 230 ball ammo. Just a thought.

Joe W.

A 185-200 with JUST enough Clays to cycle the gun. Start at 3 grains and work up if needed to get the gun to cycle. I would also put a 12 pound spring in it to help with the light loads. Will be a slow rolling recoil, very quiet (important part), and very soft.

I had made this load back when I shot lead for some local games. It shoot incredible soft, but knocking down steel is not likely.

185 gr Zero SWC lead

3.2 to 3.5gr 700x

8lb spring

This ended up being the most accurate round for my Kimber. They biggest complaint was 700x is dirty and the lead doesn't help.

Adam

I definitely vote for plain ol Hodgden Clays. Its got a very quiet report at minor loads. Try about 3.2-3.4 grains at 1.250" with a plated or jacketed 185 grain bullet. Run a 10-12# spring for it to cylce. Less than 3 grains and the slide will not hardly eject the round. Actually 3.2 is about a 140 pf that feels like 125.

my 13 year old shoots a 200gr cast bullett over 4.7 gr of 700-x very soft shooting and controllable for him. this makes a nice load it will drop steel fine I use it for pratice myself at that charge wieght you get almost 1500 rounds out of a pound. :cheers::cheers:

A 185-200 with JUST enough Clays to cycle the gun. Start at 3 grains and work up if needed to get the gun to cycle. I would also put a 12 pound spring in it to help with the light loads. Will be a slow rolling recoil, very quiet (important part), and very soft.

+1

Clays is VERY soft and quiet....

I got a Government Model to run well enough with this load to get my non-shooter wife to actually try a steel plate match:

230gr Rainier round-nose plated, with 3.5gr WST, and using a 9 or 10 pound spring.

The brass sort of drools over your right hand and shooting it makes strong men giggle.

Bill

The following is a nice soft and reliable load for a full size .45 using the stock spring. It has a velocity of 715 and the PF is 143

200gr LSWC

3.8 700X

1.266 OAL

Fed Large Primer

I also agree with the following 3.5 load. You need to change out your springs for sure with this load. I do not like to go below 3.5 with the 700X because I see the accuracy falls off fast with my Kimber

I had made this load back when I shot lead for some local games. It shoot incredible soft, but knocking down steel is not likely.

185 gr Zero SWC lead

3.2 to 3.5gr 700x

8lb spring

This ended up being the most accurate round for my Kimber. They biggest complaint was 700x is dirty and the lead doesn't help.

Adam

I would think that the following would be a but heavy for a new shooter coming from a 22. This would bring your velocity up over 800+ and your PF will be over 160+

my 13 year old shoots a 200gr cast bullett over 4.7 gr of 700-x very soft shooting and controllable for him. this makes a nice load it will drop steel fine I use it for pratice myself at that charge wieght you get almost 1500 rounds out of a pound. :cheers::cheers:

Just my thoughts...

It's only in the upper 700 FPS, 700-x won't make major with a 200gr cast bullett not in my gun anyways... I did have to go with a lighter spring to get it to cycle properly though. :D

Edited by DEADEYE

Any recommendations on a soft shooting minor load for the .45acp. This load would be to transition a teen age shooter from .22rf to center fire without starting a flinch. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Bob McGee,

For many years I shot the 185 gr. Star LSWCHP with 3.8 gr. HS-700X and Rem 2 1/2 primer at ca 710 fps. Remarkably accurate out to 25 yards (never tried it at 50 yards) and about as soft shooting as you can get with a 45 ACP. You may have to change to a lighter recoil spring in your 1911.

Edited by TonyT

• 2 weeks later...

My son started shooting a 45 using this load given to me by John Smith.

He used this load at His first Single Stack Classic Match at the age of 11.

230 gr RN FMJ or Plated 3.0 gr of Bullseye loaded to Fact length ,you need to run a 10lb recoil spring in gun.

This load is an old receipe for Bullseye shooters. I Guarantee your kid will love it.

Edited by 2 para's

• 3 weeks later...

The softest load I've ever shot was berry's 185 gr Hollow-back round-nose, @ 1.230 with 3.4 grs Clays using a no#10 spring, it's like a big fat 22! LOL

Edited by mr1911