Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coaching 8.6.2.1

mscott

The way I understand this coaching clause is that it is for new shooters, but must be requested. I think some common sense comes into play here, but the rule doesn't say anything about level of experience. When an acting RO reminds an experienced shooter of a missed target so they can make it up, shouldn't they aquire a procedural? I'm all for helping out the new guy, but a shooter with 3+ years experience should be able to make their own decisions, right? I guess I need to study the rule book more and keep it with me. I also realize some things are allowed to slide at level 1 matches (which is not really right, but a whole different discussion), but they are still supposed to be fair for everyone. Do I just worry too much and need to relax?

Do I just worry too much and need to relax?

Yes ---- and No. Like that answer? Stuff sometimes happens even at level one matches --- everything from someone forgetting that they're not supposed to blurt something out, to the one where they let you get halfway through the ULSC process before pointing out the missed popper, so they can watch one of their friends frantically reload, or take the shot with the one round still in the gun.....

My question would be: Isolated mistake? Ongoing pattern? Did it help the shooter? Did it hurt the shooter? Did the shooter even react? That's where RO discretion enters into it.....

I, occasionally, have put emphasis on the word "IF you are finished..." for the new shooters at local Level I matches.

Therefore, I am guilty of the same. I've also watched a GM receive procedurals for coaching a friend during the friends run.

The new shooter is the variable in the equation. What is fair to the shooter? What is fair to the other competitors?

When most people are running a stage in 15 seconds, and the new shooter is already at 37 seconds,

I think the issue is for the new shooter to have a good experience and return for another match.

If anyone in the squad wants to question me on it, I will gladly give myself a procedural as I'm running the clock.

In practice with some of the guys, we see missed targets and say nothing until after the run. Then the ribbing begins.

Local matches are basically practice for the experienced shooters anyway. He should learn from his mistakes.

They are also practice for us as RO's. We should learn from our mistakes there, so that they don't get repeated, or worse, become habit.

Getting called on something as an RO is a learning experince and welcomed.

The way I understand this coaching clause is that it is for new shooters, but must be requested. I think some common sense comes into play here, but the rule doesn't say anything about level of experience. When an acting RO reminds an experienced shooter of a missed target so they can make it up, shouldn't they aquire a procedural? I'm all for helping out the new guy, but a shooter with 3+ years experience should be able to make their own decisions, right? I guess I need to study the rule book more and keep it with me. I also realize some things are allowed to slide at level 1 matches (which is not really right, but a whole different discussion), but they are still supposed to be fair for everyone. Do I just worry too much and need to relax?

Since the rule doesn't specify "new shooters", I'm wondering how you drew that conclusion? It says that at a Level 1 match, coaching MAY BE ALLOWED if requested. Am I missing something in the question?

Since the rule doesn't specify "new shooters", I'm wondering how you drew that conclusion? It says that at a Level 1 match, coaching MAY BE ALLOWED if requested. Am I missing something in the question?

Discussion about it....HERE