Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Bits to buy for Milling machine?

DrawandDuck

Carbide, USA made. Anything else is junk.

You need a good assortment of square and ball end mills in anything from 3/16" - 1/2". You'll see things you like and need different cutters to make it happen. The mill is the cheap end of machining. I don't want to know how much I've spend on tooling... :wacko:

It depends on the usage. Some end mills get bought cheap and run hard. Some need to hold tolerances and need to be good q. We buy most of our tooling through LA Benson, which is a local dist.

I have, on occasion, bought tooling from MSC-direct.com. I like a good assortment of end mills, ball mills, fly cutters, drill index and taps, etc...

A couple of places to look.

www.use-enco.com

www.msc-direct.com

www.kbctools.com

www.cuttingtoolsource.com

Most of them will send you a catalog for free.

There's lots of local places around me, and it's convenient if you need something 'right now'.

George's (EGW) cutter is a little better than the Nowlin, they both will work. The EGW is easier to use, use a good cutting oil, and a slow rpm.

I get quite a bit of tooling from J&L Industrial(part of MSC). Don't buy your tooling based off of cost, the end result will show cheap cutters are not worth your extra time or money.

Rich

Carbide would be the best choice, but with proper speeds and feeds HSS will do fine also. Carbide is brittle, so be careful not drop the cutter when removing it from the collet or tool holder. Chipped carbide doesn't cut well. For endmills you will need collets or tool holders. Never use a drill chuck to hold an endmill, they have little holding area compared to collets or tool holders. Drill chucks are also not designed to take the side loads incurred from milling.

Hope this helps

Tom

What sizes do you prefer (I know a variety but the ones you use most)? Collets or tool holder? 3 or 4 Flutes? Will be using to remove material from slide and frame for fitting purposes and eventually slide lightning.....

Got the Mill, then had to purchase the vice, then the clamping kit, then the dial test indicatior and holder, then the edge and center finders and BITS and I am sure I have left other things out........DAMN that FREE FRAME KIT!!!

Thanks for the input,

Randal

Edited by DrawandDuck

Get a job in a machine shop=it's easier!

When you buy some EMs, make sure you get the shortest LOC you will need. I have cut STI Long Frames for a wilson/nowlin using an extra long 3/8" carbide(I think it was 3/8") coming in from the front of the frame. Or the top as I just stuck the frame in a vise vertical. Using very long EMs will require you to indicate them in to run true even in a collet holder. I've never tried the premade cutters for the ramp job so I don't know how well they work. You should be able to pick up some Atrax carbide relatively inexpensively through ENCO. Collets are generally more accuract than EM holders. Generally the more flutes to a cutter=the stronger it is.

For the rail cuts on the side I like to use a 1/4" carb going very fast to get a good finish. I do this work in a VMC so you may have problems spinning smaller EMs fast enough. Especially carbide. Depending on what slide lightening you will be doing, 3/8 or 1/2" should be plenty big enough.

You might want to buy a couple gauge pins that will fit into the frame rail grooves so you can indicate the correct center so the inside part of the slide rails will be centered on the frame. I haven't done that many STI frames but that's the only way I could figure to get it right assuming the slide is cut correctly. I also use gauge pins in the slide rails combined with gauge blocks to get the desired frame width. Again this probably isn't feasible for someone not in a machine shop or willing to buy gauge blocks/pins.

You may also want to check the slop in your gibbs by yanking the table by one end and seeing how much it moves on an indicator. The one we bought years ago was set up very LOOSE which doesn't help things.

Just remember=you can never indicate too much BEFORE you cut. Indicate everything on that frame and slide to make sure they're level and straight.

Nick

Edited by fastshooter03

Yea I know, what seemed like a good idea has Snowballed into a 2K project but bygod I will have built it myself...whether or not it will function will be determined later....I have ordered the EWG ramp cutter and will let everyone know how it performs....Right now I only have to remove .002 from bottom of slide and .0045 from each side of the frame. .003 from the hood of the barrel and end of slide for comp fit....

Again, thanks for the input..

Randal

Edited by DrawandDuck