Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mall Ninjas

davidwiz

From what I can tell, the whole "mall ninja" concept started with a thread on the rec.guns newsgroup by a poster using the name "Gecko45" who claimed to be the "Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America’s largest indoor retail shopping areas." The whole thread can be read here and a similar thread by the same poster over on Glocktalk.com here. Needless to say, this poster took a stuffing from other posters. This may or may not be his Myspace page, or it could be someone goofing on the original poster.

In any event, over on ar15.com (and other boards), there seems to be quite a few mall ninjas. You can usually tell b/c their forum names usually have some variant of "sniper", "operator", etc. in the title. They are the types who want to be all "tactical", are ^$#!'ing out Magpul and Bushmaster b/c of the (supposed) lack of a folding stock on the Masada/ACR rifle, B&M'ing that it (the Masada/ACR) isn't a USSOCOM rifle, debate endlessly what is the best EOTW rifle, are super concerned that their rifle/gear/etc is used by the US military and are the types who show up at the range with a whole bunch of sh%t on their rifles just because it is "tactical". They are the ones you'll see with the "sniper" SKS rifle and boast about being able to hit targets 1k yards out with it.

IMHO, the mall-ninja, gun-store-commando types give us a bad name. They are the weekend-warrior types who will launch into a debate if they think you aren't "tactical" enough or don't have the "right" gun. If you are thinking about being a gun owner and you run into one of these people at a gun store or the range, is this really the first encounter you want to have with another gun owner?

The problem is that I think more than a few manufactures and magazines buy into it and cater to the mall-ninja crowd and to a casual, non-firearm-owning observer, they would be forgiven for thinking that the ninjas are representative of gun owners. Now, I'm not saying that having a light, fore grip, laser, etc. on your AR is wrong...just that you shouldn't put any accessory on your firearm if you are never going to use it and just have it so that you can pose.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm right there with David. In my life's experience, the guys that do all the talking ain't shit, and the ones that don't say anything you're better off not messing with. The majority (imho) of the gun mags really overdo the whole "tactical" thing. I like to shoot, I like guns, and feel it's my responsiblity to take care of myself. But I take care to not put myself into stupid situations to start with, and that's something most gun writers never talk about.

The mall ninja is to companies that make the parts

as is the safety pin.... To a diaper!

Jim :lol:

Jim,

Diapers, safety pins I don't get it.

To some of us of a certain (young) age, the safety pin joke is lost. ;)

Go easy on 'em guys. They help bring down the per unit cost of a lot of items. They also help keep a lot of small ffls in business. Just smile and nod. Invite them to shoot. They sometimes, very occasionally, learn something. I did see a Beretta storm today with every damn imaginable thingymabob you could stick on it. Ya I laughed, but the guy was paying a gunsmith to sight in all his multitude of lasers. Good for the gunsmith. I do bet it's hard to sight a gun in while laughing though.

Let's see how much 'Mall Ninjas' in you....

GO HERE

GULP :surprise:

You scored 74 % Mall Ninja Personae!

The higher the score the more Mall Ninja you are. A perfect 0% is possible, but beware, there were some loaded questions that you may have stumbled over...

My test tracked 1 variable How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 99% on Personae

After I figured out...well never mind

My test results read the same as Shooter Grrls. 74% with the same explanation.

dj

I went back and took the test again and found that if I answer the questions in the most radical method I can come up with, I still get 74%.

I'd say the test was as bogus as a mall ninja :surprise:

FWIW

dj

Edited by dajarrel

Let's see how much 'Mall Ninjas' in you....

GO HERE

Looks like I, like, outted myself, dude. I, like, scored a 20 out of 20, dude. How, like, cool is that, dude? :cheers:

As a side note, that, like, blows, that someone found my sekret aptitude test, for finding like-minded mall-ninjatm dudes and, like, stole it. :angry2: Not cool, dude. :angry:

And, like, what is my icon :ph34r: doing here? Only certified mall-ninjastm can use the :ph34r: icon.