Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 load for newbie loader

Samson

Hello all, I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I have gotten into IDPA, USPSA shoots at my local clubs and am now addicted. My new found hobby has gotten rediculous on my wallet as well. I have read everything I can about the subject of reloading and decided a Dillon 650 to be the press I am going to use. In checking around other forums Brian Enos is the guy to buy from. I would go for the 550 but I love the idea of a powder check to help prevent any errors. The extra $150.00 as I see it is cheap insurance.

My question is what primer, powder, bullet do I start with? I am shooting a bone stock Kimber Stainless Target II in .45.

Thanks for all your help, Sammy

Well, when considering .45 ACP bullets are pretty expensive ... I'd go with any good bullet, at whatever the cheapest price is you can find. Try searching Midwayusa.com or Powder Valley or Montana Gold Bullets. I like jacketed bullets, mostly any round nose bullet. Look for specials like free shipping, or buying in bulk for a better price cut.

I like Clays powder. It is available locally, rather cheap, and fairly clean burning (IMO).

Primers don't seem to matter too awful much in .45 but I try and use Federal when I can find them, and Winchester when I can't.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Hello all, I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I have gotten into IDPA, USPSA shoots at my local clubs and am now addicted. My new found hobby has gotten rediculous on my wallet as well. I have read everything I can about the subject of reloading and decided a Dillon 650 to be the press I am going to use. In checking around other forums Brian Enos is the guy to buy from. I would go for the 550 but I love the idea of a powder check to help prevent any errors. The extra $150.00 as I see it is cheap insurance.

My question is what primer, powder, bullet do I start with? I am shooting a bone stock Kimber Stainless Target II in .45.

I am fairly new to the raloading game as well but I have had good luck with Hornady's HAP 230 grain bullet for my .45. The HAP stands for Hornady Action Pistol.

As far as powder I am using Hodgton Titegroup, with winchester primers. Again I do not have a lot of experience but this combination has worked well for me while also keeping my budget within limits. Hope this helps a little!

230gr fmj Precision Deltas or Montana Gold CMJ which I prefer,winchester large pistol primers and Clays or Titegroup. I am currently using Titegroup because I use it for 40's also. Shot out of a Kimber Custom.

BK

Edited by bkeeler

I've had very good luck with West Coast 230gr rn bullets and 4.0 grains of Clays (standard).

It makes major and Clays burns clean and is easy to load, regardless of the press.

Standard Clays is a fast burning high pressure powder that works well in the 45acp

because of the case size. You might want to start at 3.6grs and chrono that and

work your way up to 4.0. But, I never had a pressure problem and the load was

very accurate.

Thanks for all the help. The common bullet I keep heaaring is Montana Golden Bullet. I would like to shoot something a little softer that factory so a 200G flat nose they have on their website is what I am going to try, Does anyone have feeding problems with flat nose bullets? I would go with the standard ball but they don't offer one in 200G. Thanks again everyone, Sammy

I have also just started reloading. I have made about 1500 rounds and have learned a great deal about the machine and consistency. A lot of ammo making is feel. Feel the primer seat properly, feel the old primer eject.... etc.... I've found that if it doesn't feel right, something is wrong and if I force it, I create a problem.

Needless to say, I've been experimenting with load. My first was a pet load of a buddy of mine : 5.5gr Universals 200lswc --- very puffy. I want to run major in SS this year, so I chrono'd some and got a low reading so I bumped the gr. to 5.6 with less OAL. Good load, should make power. After reading a bunch here, I decided to try something else and got a pound of Clays. 4.2gr with the same 200gr lswc and its a VERY different load. Hits fast and recoil is more snappy... in a good way. The gun is also cleaner.

I just loaded 600 rd of the Clays with 4.2gr and 200lswc, so I'm going to shoot a few then chrono. My only useful advice is to buy a bunch of small containers of powder. Try a few 'pet' loads and shoot them. Learn.

I am also fairly new to uspsa and reloading,, i am useing a kimber team match II,,

the best load i have found so far, is 3.7 grains of red dot,, useing a moly coated

bullet from bear creek out of calif,,, loaded to a aol of 1.255 - 1.260 it does make

major,, only draw back is red dot is kinda dirty but i allways clean my gun

after ever time at the range so that doesnt matter to m