Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where's the best place to live.....

BlackBuzzard

I put in my vote for socal. I shoot 5 outdoor matches every month. Over the past year we have been so lucky with the weather--not one missed match because of rain. I don't have to be at the range at sunrise to beat the heat in the summer.

I'm not bashing your state or anything, but aren't you a bit restricted when it come to buying stuff to compete in 3gun, or even in limited for that matter.

You can get anything you need here. You just have to jump through some hoops. Granted it's a little tricky getting an STI here, but it can be done--legally.

I was commenting more on the weather than anything else in my original post. It's just not too cold and not too hot here most of the time. I love shooting in AZ, but, ouch, it gets hot in the spring and summer and early fall.

PS: you can bash my state if you want. We have a friken movie star for a governor. I'm sure we are a joke to other states.

Edited by mmm3

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actualy in SoCal, we can shoot a pistol match every saturday and sunday, there are at least two 3 gun matches a month, and three steel challenge matches, january threw december, althought californians can be compared to female genitalia when it's raining or cold.

Actualy in SoCal, we can shoot a pistol match every saturday and sunday, there are at least two 3 gun matches a month, and three steel challenge matches, january threw december, althought californians can be compared to female genitalia when it's raining or cold.

I know there are a lot of shooters, But the laws aren't exactly friendly. It's like sitting in the back, waiting for a friend at overeaters anonymous with a bucket of ice cream. Not doing anything bad, but not a real warm reception. There are plenty of shooters in California, and I wish you guys luck. I wish I could come visit to shoot but legally speaking, I can't. So Cali gets a no vote from me. I'd say Arizona, Texas, Colorado in that order.

I'd say Arizona, Texas, Colorado in that order.

I can't argue with that. Hell, I think I'd have to agree, but insert FL in before CO. CO is awesome for shooters, but damned if it isn't down right cold at times. We loose a lot of matches nov-mar time period because of cold or wet conditions.

If you are looking for the largest number of major matches yearly, a quick check of the results section of USPSA will point to Area 6. Best gun laws within that area are either Georgia or Florida. If long gun is important, it is hard to beat AZ althought we care coming right along in our area. Factor in the no income tax in Florida and you can afford several plane rides to shoot the long gun matches in the west.

Charles Bond

I'd say Arizona, Texas, Colorado in that order.

I can't argue with that. Hell, I think I'd have to agree, but insert FL in before CO. CO is awesome for shooters, but damned if it isn't down right cold at times. We loose a lot of matches nov-mar time period because of cold or wet conditions.

Cold and wet?!?!? :yawn:

;)

Central FL is great. There is are at least 8 USPSA weekend matches within 2 hours (half within a hour) from St Pete/Tampa. 2-3 IDPA matches a month if you are so inclined. Locally we shoot matches every Tuesday and Friday night. There are 3 x 3 gun matches in the area every month. If you live on the East Coast of FL I believe there is an equal number of matches every month.

As Mr Bond mentioned above we have no income tax and very favorable gun laws. We have a lot of "major matches" within a day's drive. And did I mention we shoot all 12 months of the year?

And we have Smitty... Its up to you, dear reader, to decide if that is a positive attribute. :devil:

I can pretty much guarantee that northern New England is not the hotbed of USPSA. My nearest match site is 1.5 hours each way, then 2 places that are 2.0 each way. Couple more years and I go south, warmer during winter and not so much travelling!

Edited by nhglyn

If you are looking for the largest number of major matches yearly, a quick check of the results section of USPSA will point to Area 6. Best gun laws within that area are either Georgia or Florida. If long gun is important, it is hard to beat AZ althought we care coming right along in our area. Factor in the no income tax in Florida and you can afford several plane rides to shoot the long gun matches in the west.

Charles Bond

I love Georgia, plenty of matches, plenty of good weather, some really top notch shooters. Last weekend Max Michel shows up at a local match and you never know when Sevigny will be at one, just to mention a couple.....

Central FL is great...

And we have Smitty... Its up to you, dear reader, to decide if that is a positive attribute. :devil:

Definitely positive! :cheers:

But, we also have :unsure: Cliff :unsure:

Edited by Nemo

Which brings up a companion question....which area of the United States boasts the 'best' USPSA shooters? The question is awkward, because many of the Super Squad travel around so much, but I'm thinking, still -- has to be the Southeastern US, followed by Arizona?

Hard to decide where to draw the lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Im pretty happy here in Oklahoma;

Im within daily driving distance of probably 8-10 clubs; if you got the gas, you can shoot 2 matches a weekend.

The pros at USSA and other local GMs and some world class 3 gunners make for good competition.

We also have doubletap ranch about 2.5 miles to the South.

Im pretty happy here in Oklahoma;

Im within daily driving distance of probably 8-10 clubs; if you got the gas, you can shoot 2 matches a weekend.

The pros at USSA and other local GMs and some world class 3 gunners make for good competition.

We also have doubletap ranch about 2.5 miles to the South.

Yes, Oklahoma is also a hotbed of activity. Tulsa is awesome.

Except for the tornado alley thing, :ph34r: I could live there. Maybe too cold in the winter though.

Charles Bond

I love Georgia, plenty of matches, plenty of good weather, some really top notch shooters. Last weekend Max Michel shows up at a local match and you never know when Sevigny will be at one, just to mention a couple.....

+1

I was wondering when some Georgia folks would speak up!! :cheers:

As far as I'm concerned, the best place to live is right where I live now! I'm less than 5 miles from South River Gun Club (my home club since the mid 70's --- long before I found out about IPSC), and within a 1 hour drive of 4 NICE outdoor ranges/clubs. Factor in the indoor matches and I could shoot at least 4 matches a week if I didn't have to work for a living!!