Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many mags do you have, are you stocking up?

jimmy1

I agree, I have several widebodys in different calibers and I am making it a requirement that I have at least 10 mags /gun in the caliber it is in at that time. I also am not being picky, if I get a good deal on sti mags thats fine but I will also buy svi and even sps tube for this excercise. I also buy at least 10 ar-15 mags that are sealed in the original bags with the NSN numbers still on the packaging(I get these for 10 or less in quantity) so I will have plenty fo mags for those toys too. If the next group of Dems get in the white house, all those loopholes that we had last time will be closed and be worsened. The upside to owning that many mags though is I can have plenty of mafgs at the match and if one gets really dirty/sandy/muddy, I can put it away and clean it after the match.

I've got 9 hi-cap 9mm mags for my M&P and 8 hi cap 9mm mags for my Glock 34. Never had a mag failure with either gun using any one of those mags so I'm probably overly cautions with all those extras. It is nice to have a few loaded and ready to go at a match in case I run into an issue with a reshoot or something.

Now my Limited gun is a 2011 STI built by Derek at Millennium. I ordered it with 4 tuned STI mags with dawson bases and have since added an additional stock STI tube with a dawson base just to try a stock one vs. my tuned ones. My limited experience shows that tuning does have some definite benefits from a reliability standpoint.

I just ordered two of the DocterUSA SPS/Grahms tube and basepad kits to try them out. They supposedly load 21 .40SW but I can only get 20 in each of them. And they do not drop free on their own unless fully loaded. Looks like another tuning issue to address but I'm not sure if I'll attempt it myself or have Grahms do the tune since he designed the basepads for these puppies.

If the SPS tubes work out to be 21 loadable and even better if they are 21 reloadable for some added flexibility then I'll probably try more of them til I have a good comfort margin of say 10 mags. If not then I'll most likely opt to try some SVI tubes to see how they work out. Someone's always selling or buying tubes so I figured it's good to experiment a little to see what I like and what the gun likes.

I've got 9 hi-cap 9mm mags for my M&P and 8 hi cap 9mm mags for my Glock 34. Never had a mag failure with either gun using any one of those mags so I'm probably overly cautions with all those extras. It is nice to have a few loaded and ready to go at a match in case I run into an issue with a reshoot or something.

Now my Limited gun is a 2011 STI built by Derek at Millennium. I ordered it with 4 tuned STI mags with dawson bases and have since added an additional stock STI tube with a dawson base just to try a stock one vs. my tuned ones. My limited experience shows that tuning does have some definite benefits from a reliability standpoint.

I just ordered two of the DocterUSA SPS/Grahms tube and basepad kits to try them out. They supposedly load 21 .40SW but I can only get 20 in each of them. And they do not drop free on their own unless fully loaded. Looks like another tuning issue to address but I'm not sure if I'll attempt it myself or have Grahms do the tune since he designed the basepads for these puppies.

If the SPS tubes work out to be 21 loadable and even better if they are 21 reloadable for some added flexibility then I'll probably try more of them til I have a good comfort margin of say 10 mags. If not then I'll most likely opt to try some SVI tubes to see how they work out. Someone's always selling or buying tubes so I figured it's good to experiment a little to see what I like and what the gun likes.

I ordered couple of the SPS mags and they work fine. 21 reloadable is little iffy but can be done. Can Not Load Them Long! If you are loading long (1.220) they are not way to go. 1.175 maybe 1.185 is about as long as they recommend.

I just ordered two of the DocterUSA SPS/Grahms tube and basepad kits to try them out. They supposedly load 21 .40SW but I can only get 20 in each of them. And they do not drop free on their own unless fully loaded.

You might want to try the Limcat brass base pad. Since you get 20 rounds instead of 21, you may also get 20 with the Limcat. The extra weight may let it drop.

http://shootersconnection.com/store/produc...products_id=787

edit to clarify my input.

Edited by CenTX

lets not forget that even during the ban you could still buy high cap tubes just not the complete mags, even if another ban takes place tubes should be available, plus bill ruger is dead in the box so he cant sell us out any longer ;)

lets not forget that even during the ban you could still buy high cap tubes just not the complete mags, even if another ban takes place tubes should be available,

The key word there is "should". You know the dems are kicking themselves for letting that one slide through. From what I remember seeing in the bill they tried to pass to extend the ban the parts of a high cap mag were also to be banned.

Anyone know of a good way to fool a metal detector?

I have quite a few standard capacity mags for my CZ's, EAA and Sig's. That's what they really are... not high cap. The "ban" mags were neutered to 10 rounds and aren't what guns were really designed around. I really hate the term "high cap" in reference to the mags a gun should come with. Those are normal capacity, the "ban" mags... call 'em Clinton mags??

About the only gun I'm thinking about getting any more mags for is my Open gun. I have two 170's and two 140's. Maybe another of each would be nice.

I have about 10 mags for my competition glocks. I would like to have that many for my non competition guns. If or when I see a ban headed this way, I will stock up on more for all my guns!

Edited by nitram