Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

General reloading tips and tricks

Lumpy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Skjold - don't appologize! It's good to bring these threads back to life. There are little nuggets of information in them.

Okay ;)

Background of my post:

Have read Peter K's post and were dreaming of a collective order, than I noticed the post was 2 years old.

There I wanted to save myself this embarrassing appearance, and deleted my post...

• 2 weeks later...

I went to HD today looking for that mod, found it but on my powder measures my bolt head is 7/16 size the 5/16 size would not fit too small they had a 3/8 size in the flowerette but it would still have to be cut in order to fit on the larger 7/16 bolt head. did the earlier 550b's have a smaller bolt and now the newer one have larger bolt heads? so this mod won't work for the newer powder measures?

• 6 months later...

A pic is worth a thousand words (or about a thousand bullets in this case):

bullettray.jpg

$3 in the pet section at Fred Meyer's.

I know this post is forever old, but I absolutely love that idea!!!!

• 8 months later...

I went to HD today looking for that mod, found it but on my powder measures my bolt head is 7/16 size the 5/16 size would not fit too small they had a 3/8 size in the flowerette but it would still have to be cut in order to fit on the larger 7/16 bolt head. did the earlier 550b's have a smaller bolt and now the newer one have larger bolt heads? so this mod won't work for the newer powder measures?

Was getting ready to go by HD when I noticed this post. Has anyone else tried the knobs recently?

• 1 month later...

for the powder checker, when not in use, wrap a rubber band around the body and to the powder(mounting) die, lift the powder checker rod up and out of the powder die body.

this way the weight of the powder checker is not causing the little plastic shaft to bend and keep a memory, your powder checker will be like new and not bent up. Also Dillon will appreciate it too.

I'll try to post a pic once i get home.

Was getting ready to go by HD when I noticed this post. Has anyone else tried the knobs recently?

You want 5/16 size but you want it for a hex drive bolt not a hex head bolt. Some knobs have a hex nut shape inside you don't want those. You want the one that has little finger looking things inside to fit over a hex drive round head.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought one for my 550B that is two years old and it worked great! All information on a previous post still applies at Home Depot except the knob is now black and the price is $1.50.

* Knob - Flowerette

* 5/16"

* Dr# - 24 Bin - 1

SKU #3069983748

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

for the powder checker, when not in use, wrap a rubber band around the body and to the powder(mounting) die, lift the powder checker rod up and out of the powder die body.

this way the weight of the powder checker is not causing the little plastic shaft to bend and keep a memory, your powder checker will be like new and not bent up. Also Dillon will appreciate it too.

I'll try to post a pic once i get home.

pic?

• 2 years later...

When reloading 223 brass that has been polished in corn cob I use a die with a de-capping pin to punch out the flash hole.

The press made a pop but I didn't see anything wrong and continued to load. After loading almost 100 rounds I noticed the end of the de-capping pin was broken off. I laid all the bullets out flat and moved the magnet from an old computer hard drive across them. The magnet snatched up one round and I found the 1/8" long piece of de-capping pin inside it.

A computer hard drive magnet can also be used to check a magazine for AP without having to unload it.

• 2 years later...

If you dislike not being able to see into your measure because of powder staining on the interior wall, the next time you get a new body/measure, line it with a piece of clear plastic document cover. You can notch the bottom to cover the area below the baffle.

I'd expected, when I did this, that the plastic would be sacrificial, eventually stained and then to be removed and replaced. But at least the one I started with hasn't discolored at all in the time I've used it (18 months). Different plastic than the measure, I guess.