Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steve Fossett legally dead

Merlin Orr

I admire his courage and passion for adventure and hope that's how his legacy is remembered. I'll miss the stories of his failuers and his successes, but the one thing I learned through reading about him is that life is meant to be lived. Not casually observed from the sidelines.

J

Edited by j1b

There's a moral about buying a top of the line transponder and requesting flight following in all of this.

We sometimes can get so complacent that we forget the basics.

I can't believe the # of times I've seen guys squawk 1200 and go fly big timber, which is exactly what Fossett did. No boots. No survival gear. Nothing.

The two scariest places to fly over in a little airplane are water and timber. Both will swallow you whole without a trace.

I'm not trying to deride the man's legacy, but I hope that *someone* looks at this and finally clues in. It may only be 2 inches from civilization on the sectional map, but I guarantee those will be the two longest inches of your life if you have to walk them.

He was flying a citabria..a VERY tough little craft!!

and his ELT was not transmitting...or at least recieved.

Must have been something REAL bad to kill the ELT

He was quite the guy!...not too many like him.

Jim

Having flown a Citabra I can attest that you do have the feeling you could land anywhere and at a slow enough speed to survive. We will miss him though!

I'll bet the ELT simply didn't activate. ELTs are basically junk. I was thinking about this last night walking the dog. I can count the # of times on one hand - and still have several fingers available - the # of times I've heard that an aircraft has gone missing and the ELT actually activated. The track record of the ELT is so outlandishly poor, it's incredible that the Fossett accident didn't at least initiate some type of inquiry into the phenomenon.

Edited by EricW

• 7 months later...

I'll bet the ELT simply didn't activate. ELTs are basically junk. I was thinking about this last night walking the dog. I can count the # of times on one hand - and still have several fingers available - the # of times I've heard that an aircraft has gone missing and the ELT actually activated. The track record of the ELT is so outlandishly poor, it's incredible that the Fossett accident didn't at least initiate some type of inquiry into the phenomenon.

Funny, because at the Sun-n-Fun there were always running around trying to find the plane with the false-positive ELT that was transmitting....

For outsiders: Sun-n-Fun is 2nd largest fly-in, almost as big as Oshkosh.

The familly may have a different opinion but guys like Fossett should not be found.

They should ride into the sunset forever, that way we can always have Elvis sightings !! :ph34r:

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

Sad that he passed. Freakin' fantastic life though. That guy lived life! Got really wealthy and knew what to do with the money.

Amazing story and one that inspires me.

J