Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electroless nickel or chrome?

pevadijk

I want to have my STI Edge plated, but I can't figure out what's best.

My smith showed me a slide that has been hard chromed (matte), but on the front edges of the slide you could see the nickel plating that's under the chrome and I don't like that.

So, I'm thinking of getting it done in electroless nickel?? I heard it's very rust resistant and has a very even thickness.

BTW, anyone had pics of a STI done in electroless nickel?

I want to have my STI Edge plated, but I can't figure out what's best.

My smith showed me a slide that has been hard chromed (matte), but on the front edges of the slide you could see the nickel plating that's under the chrome and I don't like that.

So, I'm thinking of getting it done in electroless nickel?? I heard it's very rust resistant and has a very even thickness.

BTW, anyone had pics of a STI done in electroless nickel?

Years ago, in my New Jersey shop we offered both hot bluing and electroless nickel plating as in house services. Across the street from my shop there was a commercial jewelry manufacturer that offered electro-plated nickel, silver, etc. Most electro-plated systems (including chrome and nickel) do have a habit of not plating well certain areas, specially internal or lower laying recessed areas. On the other hand "electro-less" nickel plating offered full internal and external coverage in an even pattern. I wish that most set-ups/shops offering "hard" chrome plating would deliver similar results.

BTW, if you saw the "yellowish" coloring of nickel plating in some recessed areas, this means you DID NOT get a hard chrome finish, but got what is referred to as "triple-chrome" plating. Triple-chrome ( or "bumper/wheel" plating consists of a thin layer of wash of electro-copper plating followed by another wash/layer of electro-nickel plating, and finally another very thin layer of electro-plating in "commercial" chrome.

Hard-chrome, also referred to as "industrial chrome" plating is deposited directly into the properly prepared steel, without the layering coats of the "commercial" chrome. Hard chrome (industrial) is also harder than "bright"/commercial triple-chrome.

While Nickel, electro or electroless, is very durable, it is not nearly as hard or durable as "hard chrome" plating. The Nickel finish gives out a slightly yellowish color instead of the greyish/bluish hue of the hard chrome. The hard-chrome look seems to be more acceptable than the nickel.

The problem is that I live in The Netherlands and it's highly illegal to take your gun to just a plater, so the options are limited, since there are only a few company's that will plate guns.

So, I guess what I have seen is triple chrome and I'll be better off with electoless nickel?

• 4 weeks later...

I have my gun back from my gunsmith and it's done in electroless nickel.

It's really smooth and even and it's very easy to clean.

Hard chrome would have been great, but I couln't find anyone able to hardchrome........and the grip is going to be replaced by a red or blue one ;-)

BTW, sorry for the Glock in the picture ;-)

Edited by pevadijk

Last winter I sent my worn, blued, STI Edge to be refinished by Robar Ind in Phoenix, with thier NP3 Nickle process and it came back looking great. I am well pleased with the results. The finish is flawless, they did just a great job. It's easy to clean. it's closer to stainless steel in color instead of a hard chrome look.

post-5425-1205579279.jpg

• 8 months later...
I have my gun back from my gunsmith and it's done in electroless nickel.

It's really smooth and even and it's very easy to clean.

pevadijk... I think your choice of nickel is awesome. It's a superb gun finish with many great qualities,

not the least of which is that gorgeous warm color. Hard chrome is great, but nickel

is nearly as hard and much more beautiful.

Edited by DHart

Personally, I like hard chrome. I've gotten a few hard chromed (Ford's and Tripp) and both of the firearms have performed and looked beautifully. The finish looks just like it did the day I got them, even after extraordinarily heavy usage.

1 vote for Hard Chrome