Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chip McCormick magazines.

mace85

I have ordered 7 Chip McCormick 8rd 1911 mags from CDNN. None of them engage the slide stop of either one of my 1911's (4in and 5 in). A few of them tend to bring the last round up fast enough to properly feed in the 4 in gun. I am guessing that I need to order some new springs to put in them. Has anyone had problems with these mags? Is this a common issue with the Chip McCormicks?

When I order the springs should I order extra power springs, or just the standards? And should I look into different followers?

Thanks for the help guys.

I have 7 or 8 Kimbers of various flavors and probably 50 Chip McCormick mags of various flavors.

Shooting Star, Power mags, Tactical mags, 10 rounders. Every CMC mag that I have ever used worked flawlessly and all engage slide stop very reliably. Have seen some problems caused by shock buffers that are to thick, either slide stop wont engage or is hard to disengage. Try removing shock buff if you're running one and see if that changes anything. I prefer Wilson combat buffs. The blue ones.

They're thinner than some others.. If not that, has someone worked on your slide stops for use with some other mag????

Bob

I use CMC Power Mags exclusively. They work flawlessly for me. The Power Mag springs never have to be replaced.

The problems you describe are not magazine problems. It sounds like your pistol is short stroking.

The slide is not travelling far enough backwards to allow enough time for the round in the magazine to rise. The slide will also not lock open if it doesn't travel back far enough. Try a factory weight spring (18# Commander, 16# Government) and no shock buff if you're using one. That's for factory ammunition. If you're loading ultra light reloads, you may need a lighter weight recoil spring. In either case don't try to use a shock buff in a Commander length gun.

The problem occurs with two different guns. And I am not running any kind of buffers. When running Wilson or Novaks they seem the guns are 100%. I have some other CMC mags that also function perfectly. Short stroking was my first thought as well. But they even fail to lock back when manually cycling.

I appreciate the replies, and I am not trying to discount the advice. Just rule problems out. This has me very confused.

Edited by mace85

In that case... Certain pistols are particular to certain brands of magazines. If your pistols are finicky, give them what they want. A well fitted pistol will be less finicky. Unfortunately, factories assemble 1911 with very little fitting. Only your high end guns are finely fitted.

I have a dozen CM ShootingStar 8 rounders and have not had this issue with my SA Milspec. Then again, I also have a 15# recoil spring in and it functions flawlessly. I have only let it go to slide lock once in stage :o, but I tried it this morning sitting in my office and every one locks back the slide during manual cycling. I might fall in with the suggestion that if you know what magazines your pistol plays nice with, (Wilson's, Novak's), stick with 'em unless you have a burning need to troubleshoot.