Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking at getting into IDPA - PLEASE help!

DocAlamo

Hey everyone,

I was planning on entering an USPSA match or two here in the Houston area, but I am beginning to rethink USPSA and look at IDPA instead. I am looking at SSR as a starting point. I have a 4" model 64 that seems like it would be a good fit for this venue. There are some excellent wheelgun shooters in this forum, so I thought I would post this question here.

For USPSA I am convinced that a 625 is the gun of choice. However, I don't have one of those gems right now, and to make it competitive it would have to have a lot of cool things done to it. So, this is my reason for looking at IDPA for a start.

I have been shooting Production in USPSA (Glock) and really want to shift to revolver. The few revolver shooters I have been squaded with look like they are having SO MUCH FUN. So, I am taking the plung.

So, if the learned ones could provide me with some feedback I would be forever grateful.

Thanks,

Dr. Bill

Houston

Hey Doc, SSR is a good starting point for IDPA. And it is a fun game. But Don't give up on USPSA with the 64 just yet. As you are more than likely going to Comp III's in IDPA you can use the same loaders in USPSA and even ICORE. As far as being competitive, That is just a state of mind. Just shoot the 64 with comp III's to be classified against the moonclipped gun and you will be competitive in your class. The more you shoot the better you can become and the higher finish is possible. And then you make A Class :mellow: I have been stuck here for two years and made it using an old L frame with speedloaders shooting minor. I plan on using my 625 this year with major loads to see if I can get over the hump. good luck Doc.

Interesting... I am starting to re-think IDPA and shoot USPSA instead. IDPA was very good to me but then something has changed about it. The biggest problem with IDPA now is you are forced to check your brain at the door. I think the greatest insult as a revolver shooter is being penalized for opening the cylinder and ejecting the empties before I run to cover. It seems they are really trying to beat down the revolver shooters.

You will need to understand the scoring differences between IDPA and USPSA. I tend to shoot USPSA Revolver like I shoot IDPA and my classifiers are bad because of it. Funny thing is, I shot my best USPSA classifier with my S&W 66 and Comp III loaders and I hardly ever use that setup. You will never know what works best until you try it.

One more thing... The revolvers in USPSA need not be very sophisticated. A simple 5" 625 with an action job and maybe a set of new grips is generally all the top shooters need to win. I use my 4" IDPA gun and holster and I never feel handicapped.

Dave Sinko

I guess my thinking was that, for a new revolver competitor, the IDPA crowd would be a little more "understanding" with the extra time involved in completing a stage. Also, I have a model 64 that I love, but it is not really set up for competition. I always assumed that to compete in USPSA I needed a 625 (to make major, etc), but perhaps I was a bit hasty in that assumtion.

So, perhaps I should shoot a few USPSA matches with my 64 with a ton om CompIII speedloaders and just have fun. I am trying to find a used 625, or even a new one for that matter, but have been unable to find one in Houston. I will keep looking, but use my 64 for now. It will make minor, but who cares, right.

And, I might as well go to an IDPA match just to see. I much prefer USPSA to IDPA, but there is a relatively active IDPA club on the west side of Houston that has a weekly match on Wednesday evenings. Might give both a try.

Will keep you guys posted. I am learning a lot by "lurking" around here and reading the posts. Was so tempted to buy a 610, but after reading everything decided to hold out for a 625.

Thanks, guys, for responding to my post ... it makes entry into competitive revolver shooting seem less daunting.

Ciao.

Dr. Bill

Sounds like you have a good plan figured out, Dr. Bill. Use what you have for now, and plan to locate a 625 as soon as practicable. Check around the gun shows and the online gun auction sites and you can usually find a nice 5" 625 for about $500 or thereabouts.

Another option would be to pick up a 4" 625 and use it for both ESR in IDPA and Revo in USPSA. However, I do think the 5" gun will handle a little better with major loads in the USPSA game.

The only real work a 625 needs to be completely competitive, even at the highest levels of the game, is a good action job and a cylinder chamfer. That's it--all the rest is fluff. I like a moderately extended thumb latch, but that's purely a matter of personal taste. I use plain ol' rubber Hogues personally.

Welcome--you're going to enjoy this a lot!

Hey, I compete in USPSA and IDPA with a Ruger Alaskan using HKS speedloaders. Given that I am shooting .45 Colt and have a 2 1/2" barrel I do pretty well for myself. I have a S&W 625 and choose to use the Ruger with speedloaders over the S&W with moon clips. I have a blast competing with it, and shoot with auto users on my squad normally. My goal is to beat them on at least a few stages each match, as there are few revolver shooters at most matches that I attend.

I recently bought a Ruger Super Redhawk (7 1/2" barrel, .454/.45), and I plan to use it in some of the future USPSA matches (along with some steel matches). It's all about the competition (and gun handling practice) for me, and not chasing ratings.

Have fun with what you have, until you get what you want to use. Then get serious if that is your goal.

Doc - There are a bunch of matches in the Houston area, both IDPA and USPSA. You could shoot two matches a weekend if you wanted to. ;)

I think that SSR is the better place to start, since for a revolver shooter there's less thinking to do in an IDPA stage, so you can concentrate on gun handling skills. Shooting a 30 round stage with a revolver in a USPSA match requires not only the gun handling skills, but also stage planning skills - where are you going to reload? In which order are you going to engage the targets? You have an idea how it works since you've already shot (I assume) Production; imagine how it would work with six rounds instead of ten.

In my avatar, that's me shooting my M67 at the 2001 TX state IDPA match at PSC.

Good plan -- to shoot both games with the gun you have. They both have something to offer a revo shooter and you will be able to decide whether you like it well enough to invest in a new gun.

Also don't forget ICORE. There are guys who do extremely well with a basic 6 round gun in the Limited Division. If there is a local club within driving distance from you, you need to check them out as well.

Regarding finding a used 625 in the local market, be patient. I've found several in KC market, typically 2 weeks to a month after I blow the "new gun budget" on some other gotta have item.

Edited by Wideload

Guys,,

The advice and encouragement here is fantastic. I find myself getting really excited reading your posts. So, I am ordering about 5-6 CompIII speedloaders, pouches, and a good holster that I can use in both IDPA and USPSA. Might as well jump in both venues!! This will really give my 64 a great workout! As always, I will keep on the lookout for a 5" 625.

Hopefully, if the weather holds and my gear arrives soon, I will shoot my first revo match in a few weeks! I will let everyone know how it went ... remember your first time?????

My only fear is that, while shooting production was addicting, I am sure the REVO will be a habit that will be unbreakable ... not that I will try hard to break that habit! I love wheelguns so much, and to compete with one is icing on the cake.

Thanks so much, you guys are the best!

Dr. Bill

I started shooting USPSA with a 6" 686 with 9 comp-3 speedloaders in 3 comp-3 carriers and the first revolver I shot in IDPA was a GP-100, w/ 3 comp-2 speed loaders. I had a blast until I found a 5" 625 for USPSA and a 4" 610 for IDPA. I shot the 610 until they raised the power floor. Major is not a big deal in the 4" gun, but it's just not as much fun as shooting those minor .40s. I haven't been shooting a lot of IDPA and seem to be concentrating on USPSA. It wasn't really a concious decision, it just seems to be easier to make the USPSA matches. However, I do plan on trying a few matches to see if all the work in USPSA will affect my scores in IDPA.

Doc I'd also engourage you to shoot both IDPA and USPSA. I enjoy both games. It is all good trigger time. I would not worry at all about being competitive with your 64 in USPSA. Last spring I missed major by just a few fps at 2 back to back major matches with my 625 4". I went back and figured my scores out using major scoring and there would have been very little difference in the outcome of either match had I made major and there probably would have been no difference at all had I been shooting on the low end of minor PF. I have a lot of arthritis and this year I may try shooting minor on purpose in some matches and see what happens.

You really don't need 45 to make major. My 38 super with 151 gr Ranier and 6.0 gr. 3N37 just squeaks by and the recoil is nothing.

To make major in USPSA with a revo you have to shoot a 40 cal or larger.

You really don't need 45 to make major. My 38 super with 151 gr Ranier and 6.0 gr. 3N37 just squeaks by and the recoil is nothing.

The 40 limit is only in L, L-10 & SS. Rev lower limit on caliber is .38 cal. / 9x19 mm. I shot .38 Super Major at the 2006 Nationals in Revolver.

The 40 limit is only in L, L-10 & SS. Rev lower limit on caliber is .38 cal. / 9x19 mm. I shot .38 Super Major at the 2006 Nationals in Revolver.

I stand corrected. I never really paid any attention to that, I just assumed.

Welcome Dr. Bill.

Your 64 will work just fine and it sounds like you've got a lot of good advise. I think you'll find IDPA is pretty friendly to revolver shooters - both ESR and SSR.

This is a great place for advice and you'll get lot's of it. You might also try: http://p075.ezboard.com/bidpaforum

Again Welcome - I hope to see you and your 64 soon.

Craig