Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loseing zero

benny hill

At the texas carbine match sunday I was cruseing alone about 30 seconds in the lead when I get to the long distance stage. My scope lost zero to the tune of 18" high & 10" to the left. I shot the paper first & of course droped a lot on time added & then went to the steel. After shooting middle of plate & not hitting crap for a few shots I started shooting around them. Short story is it took me an added about 28 sec.'s to hit them . I won the match by .08 of a second, talk about close. I see a new scope in the near future.

At the texas carbine match sunday I was cruseing alone about 30 seconds in the lead when I get to the long distance stage. My scope lost zero to the tune of 18" high & 10" to the left. I shot the paper first & of course droped a lot on time added & then went to the steel. After shooting middle of plate & not hitting crap for a few shots I started shooting around them. Short story is it took me an added about 28 sec.'s to hit them . I won the match by .08 of a second, talk about close. I see a new scope in the near future.

benny...was that with a meopta? hell, i lose zero's on the simmons with a larue mount.

Do you recall if you jarred (hit) (soft/hard) the rifle and/or optic on something?

Or did it just lose zero from the "recoil"?

noob question here. but how does a scope lose zero?

lynn

The cross hairs are actually attached to the mechanism that moves them up / down & left / right when you turn the adjustment knobs.

If they become detached they float or if that mechanism becomes detached, they can float. They will still appear centered but in reality, they drop so shots go high and no amount of turning knobs will get them back.

Common in cheap scopes. Unusual in something like a Horus. That's why Religious Shooter asked if it had been dropped / jarred.