Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Driving the Gun

rgkeller

It's all about control. You control the gun, rather than the gun controlling you. To borrow from my instrument flight training many years ago, the pilot needs to be ahead of the airplane, anticipating the next required action, rather than playing catch-up. For shooting, am I done with this target? Yes, get my eyes to the spot on the next target so you KNOW where the gun has to be.

It means different things.

The classic meaning is like driving a car, when you are operating this fairly complex piece of equipment, without thinking about it at all.

When you drove to work this morning, what were you thinking about? The route? Working the accelerator, brakes, or turn signals? Probably not.

Get the basics of shooting down, and you don't think about the trigger, or which target is next. Climb in and drive.

• 2 weeks later...

There is much more to driving the gun than is listed here. There are so many things that you have to correctly do for the gun to be properly driven. Is your grip correct, 60/40 pressure with the heel and not the fingers. Do you have neutrality (sp?), are your thumbs correct and not pushing the gun one way or another. Are you properly prepping your trigger or slapping it? Is your stance correct, are you into the stance so the gun is not driving you? Can you track your sights so you can make grip, or trigger prep adjustments to correct them in mid string. If you can't do all of that in the .06 seconds that your slide cycles, then you are not properly "driving" your gun. Can I do all of this? Not yet, but I'm working hard on it. If you are a newer shooter, the best money spent will be several lessons with a good coach. I never even knew about this stuff untill I took a couple lessons and the lights started coming on. Now I have an occasional flash of brilliance where it happens and you can actually see it and the timer shows it. When I don't do it, I can immediately tell, but then I have to go down my little mental check list and get it back in line. There is so much to do all at the same time it is hard to get it all right, but we keep working on it....one day... Take a lesson, you will be amazed.