Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Someone else screws up and I pay

galt11

Dell posted a price of $11.99 for a 160 gig laptop hard drive last week on their site and as such things seem to do the word got around quick. I ordered three of them right away and even got confirmations of the order. Today I get an email saying it was a pricing error, (Well DUH!!!) and they were canceling all the orders. However if you would like to purchase them they are now $115.99. I wish I could do that with my company if we make a mistake. It makes me happy to be able to say "Dude, thank God it's not a Dell!"

Adam

Dell posted a price of $11.99 for a 160 gig laptop hard drive last week on their site and as such things seem to do the word got around quick. I ordered three of them right away and even got confirmations of the order. Today I get an email saying it was a pricing error, (Well DUH!!!) and they were canceling all the orders. However if you would like to purchase them they are now $115.99. I wish I could do that with my company if we make a mistake. It makes me happy to be able to say "Dude, thank God it's not a Dell!"

Adam

Yeah, that's what I have seen in advertising flyers: they can always claim pricing error and legally get away with it. There is usually some microscopic print somewhere disclaiming responsibility for print errors.

Had the same thing happen with another PC manufacturer during a "liquidation sale, everything must go" deal a few years ago, except it was a 32" LCD monitor listed for 119.99, and they changed it after the order to 1199.99. I cancelled it and moved on.

What did you pay?

I paid $11.99 plus approx. $5 in shipping and tax, so each one was approx. $15.

Adam

Am I mistaken or did they honor their ad?

An ad error is something that I feel personally companies should not be liable for. Maybe it's not a good thing but mistakes do happen, and I wouldn't want it to go the other way either.

What did you pay?

I paid $11.99 plus approx. $5 in shipping and tax, so each one was approx. $15.

Adam

Am I mistaken or did they honor their ad?

An ad error is something that I feel personally companies should not be liable for. Maybe it's not a good thing but mistakes do happen, and I wouldn't want it to go the other way either.

No, they canceled all the orders. I agree that mistakes happen but you would think that at a company as large as Dell, they would have someone in charge of making sure their prices are correct. I would think they have everything calculated to the last penny to make as much as possible. If we make a mistake at work, we would honor the prices for previous orders and immediately change the price. Their website didn't change for 2 days.

A friend tells the story all the time of how Eastern Airlines, I think, save millions of dollars a year by eliminating 1 olive from every first class salad. I am sure Dell, like most companies are the same way.

Adam